1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UMich. hockey player's Twitter post takes racist jab at Marquette, Mich.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Feb 28, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

If this was a major college sport, this would have been the top news of the day.

UM hockey player Scooter Vaugh takes a stab at Marquette, Mich. (my hometown) by implying we are a bunch of redneck racists in the U.P.

"Getting some pretty funny looks in Marquette, MI when people see a black guy roll up with the @Michigan_Hockey crew, segregation is over"

http://twitter.com/#!/scooter_von

Guess what assclown? There have been many black kids that play hockey in the U.P. and the only color people saw was Maize and Blue...that's why you were getting dirty looks.

As usual...Wolverines are arrogant assholes.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not everyone in the U.P. is a saint, but let's face it ... there's plenty of racism "below the bridge," too.

Find a better reason to hate Marquette and NMU, Scooter.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I second this. I'm glad I attended the other large university in Michigan. Nothing good about those Walmart Wolvies.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Surprised you could find your way to the computer without tripping over all your Moo U and/or Ohio State gear.

This is really offensive to you? First of all, you posted the most misleading subject line of all time, implying that the player posted a racist statement, when in fact he was accusing others of being racist.

Second of all, I don't care if it were Cam Newton writing it on the eve of the BCS Title game, it wouldn't be the "top news of the day."

5. spikechiquet

Sooo...ya went to Grand Valley? (he he)

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Often, people who make statements accusing people of racism are in fact the racists.

I've never been to Marquette but it produced one of my grandfathers so it rocks. :)

7. Dick Whitman

That's fine, but the OP's tone makes me think that his reaction has as much to do with the green-eyed monster as anything else.

8. spikechiquet

Yes, because if I hate UM, I MUST be a Sparty or Buckeye fan.
    Wow, the arrogance abounds.
    I am a PROUD graduate of Northern Michigan! Since you don't seem to understand that hockey is one of the only DI programs we Wildcats have. We hate Michigan hockey up here...although the Wildcats had a bad weekend against them (3-2 and 3-0 losses).
    He took a shot at my town...where I skated with plenty of kids of color growing up. Yes, it's VERY offensive to me and my city.
    So a black athlete tweeting about how a city could be racist...ISN'T racist?
    If a Michigan football player posted this about East Lansing, Bloomington, Happy Valley or Iowa City...that wouldn't make news huh?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They're too frozen to hate.

10. Dick Whitman

No.

Make news for what? Making a lame, tired crack about small towns? Stop the presses.

11. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

As an outsider who covered college sports in Michigan, I chuckle every time some Michigander rips Michigan as arrogant or uses the phrase Wal-Mart wolverine, because most of those folks would have killed to go there and will one day beam with pride if their child is fortunate enough to be admitted to one of the best public universities in the country.

No university is a monolith. Stereotypes are dopey regardless of whether they're aimed at Michigan's arrogance, MSU's ag school background, the UP's lack of diversity, etc. That is all.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

It's not a racist statement so much as a statement that the kid felt he was being stared at as an oddity. Lighten up, Francis.

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted