1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, whoops....From the Lexington Herald Leader website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Aug 28, 2007.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Gosh, I'm glad no one posting on this thread has ever made a bonehead mistake.

2. Oh, did I laugh out loud. "Oh, yeah" needs to find it's place in the SportsJournalists.com lexicon somewhere.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not one to that degree, or even approaching it.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

You're young. :)

5. We ALL make mistakes. That's what makes this fun. Next week it could be my turn, but this week it isn't. :D

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Very true. It's bound to happen sooner or later, I suppose. And I'd expect all of you to ridicule me when it happens. Lord knows, I'll be pretty pissed at myself for it. :D

7. Chooka Chooka.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'm thinking they are lucky that all they have is dummy text in there. This is a good reminder of why you use dummy text, instead of writing a fake headline or some inside joke that you think only the slot or designer will see. I've been told it's good for copy editors to have a dirty mind to keep innuendos or sexual references out of the paper, especially when one of the stars of the game has the last name Gay and there's a receiver named Hooker. Last thing the paper needs is some desker trying to be funny and comes up with "Clay's Gay Hooker leads team past Warren Central" or something to that extent. I'm thinking if that got in the paper, at least one person would lose a job. Saying you thought the slot would change it, or that it was in notes mode probably won't help.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

One of my favorite filler mistakes is the college paper during my term there was supposed to run a mug of some (i think football) player. They had a photo of Yasser Arafat in there to fill the space, never took it out.

10. That's comedy.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

If only you remember what position the player was. I can't see Arafat playing O- or D-line at his size, but he could be a good skills player.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Clay's Gay Hooker would be a great name for a race horse.

Draft saved Draft deleted