1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Um, we're going to need a bigger glove compartment ... "

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sam Mills 51, Jun 16, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I had my young kids in tow to an interview and was walking back to the car when my youngest needs a diaper change. A quick detour to a campus bathroom and then directly back to the car. Sure enough I'm a few minutes late getting back and a ticket is in my window. I see the officer just down the block and do my best to explain, but of course, it went nowhere. Then tried the old written document with my payment...no luck there either :(

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The University of Maryland parking enforcement dickfaces think they're amateurs at UNC.

Also, Duane Simpkins thinks the same thing about Austin. (someone gets that joke, right? If not, well, he got in trouble his last year when someone paid off something like $10k in parking tickets for him in the mid 90s)

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I gave up parking on campus after my junior year and went ahead and parked in residential neighborhoods and walked the 6 or 7 blocks the rest of the way to campus. Had to walk all over the place to get from building to building anyway, so I didn't see any reason not to just hoof it.

The second semester of my senior year, one of my friends gave me his parking permit for the church outreach center's lot, which was right next to the communication building, because he decided to trade in his car for a motorcycle. He did that when he realized that almost no one ever used the campus parking spots reserved for motorcycles, so he had a guaranteed space near whatever building he needed to be at any given time.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The administration building at Alabama is surrounded by a tiny handful of 15 minute spaces and a couple of handicap spots. One day after a dozen or so fruitless laps around, and noticing some able-bodied fraternity douche taking a handicapped spot, I asked the parking Nazi around the corner if she could take a peek and write a useful ticket for once. Nope. Wouldn't budge from her perch watching the clock and trying to nail some schmuck who had tried to play fair.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

First of all, parking services isn't issuing tickets only to students. So if you're going to get hung up on the total enrollment (only 18,500 of which are undergraduates) you need to add in the 11,000 employees of UNC-Chapel Hill and consider that the campus is home to a 780 bed hospital that has thousands of visitors everyday.

I would not be surprised -- in fact fully expect -- that a majority of those 47,000+ tickets are issued to visitors who don't know the campus and get fed up trying to find a place to park.

Second, the number of tickets some of these players were racking up is far from normal. Sure there are some regular students who are just as bad as these football players, but that doesn't excuse their behavior, and doesn't mean this is typical.

I did more than 8 years on that campus while getting multiple degrees and got less than 5 tickets total. I suspect that rate is much closer to a typical student. As an undergraduate, my roommates -- who worked at Student Stores -- would laugh at me every time I got one and ask why I couldn't feed my meter on time.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

The difference is they are not typical students. They play a sport and thus have to park in a area that a bunch of their teammates have already done. There will be only so many spots and if you aren't at practice really early you won't get one of the legal ones. So you are left either 1. being late to practice 2. hoofing it across campus immediately before practice

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I take it you're not particularly familiar with Chapel Hill.

First, people in this thread -- and elsewhere -- have been trying to make the argument that it is normal for a UNC student, regardless of whether or not he or she is an athlete, to rack up a large number of tickets during their time on campus. I'm saying that is not true. There certainly are some non-athlete students who get lots of tickets, but its not typical. I doubt its typical among most athletes, either.

Second, UNC is nothing like Purdue with Mackey, Ross-Ade and the fieldhouse out on the edge of campus with large parking lots nearby. The athletic facilities at UNC -- in particular the football stadium, practice fields and fieldhouse are in the heart of campus. There is very little parking for anyone.

Football players who want a parking pass have to qualify for one under the same rules as regular students -- they must live 2+ miles from campus. The program I've been in for the last three years shares parking with the athletic fields and for the last three years I've shared a parking lot with basketball, baseball, field hockey, lacrosse and soccer players who all had permits and watched them carpool in for practice with no problems. The football players use those same fields and yet I've never seen one of them with a permit to park out there, despite using them. There's no reason these guys can't manage to get to practice the same ways the basketball, baseball, field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer players do -- carpooling with someone who actually has a permit.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I don't see where the fact that they play a sport makes them a non-typical student when it comes to parking. So what if they "have to park in an area that a bunch of their teammates have already" parked. That is the exact same thing that happens to the communication students (that all need to park near the communication building) or the business students (who need to park near the business building) etc. With regard to wanting to park near their respective building and that there is a shortage of parking spots is a problem that is typical to every student at a college with little parking. It is not a problem specific to those playing a sport.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I can attest to that. Got my share of tickets as a student.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When I went to Indiana, the basketball players lived in our dorm.

One had his truck parked (illegally) on the circle drive out in front of the dorm -- instead of in the parking lot -- every day.

Every day, there was a little slip of paper under the wiper. I get the sense none of the tickets were paid, given he kept on doing it and one would think there might have been some consequences had his extremely volatile coach who believed in "law and order" found out he was welching on parking tickets (or, for that matter, getting them).

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I was going to Kansas I lived in the Jayhawker Towers across the street from the Allen Fieldhouse parking lot. My roommates and I were heading out to our favorite bar to watch the game and one of the KU basketball players was pulling into the Towers while we were leaving. He stopped us and asked if he could borrow our Towers parking pass because he had no place to park for the game.

We said sure, we'd all gone to Hutchinson Community College together and knew he'd get it back to us, but it was pretty shocking that basketball players at Kansas didn't have reserved parking for games at Allen Fieldhouse.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sam - Apologies... hopped up on sinus meds right now... but I'm confused by your premise. UNC wants to hold onto its coach, so they go on a spree of ticketing his players? Or are you saying the athletic department has a hand in the (as yet) unpaid totals? In a fog, here.

Draft saved Draft deleted