1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Um, we're going to need a bigger glove compartment ... "

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sam Mills 51, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

The folks in Chapel Hill have been writing parking tickets for vehicles associated with the University of North Carolina football program at a pretty rapid pace:

No NCAA violations, but a pretty ugly indicator of how low the athletic department will go to hold onto a football coach who rakes in NFL-caliber recruits at just about any cost. Is the Rams Club this desperate for a winner? Really?

Discuss. Snark. Do what SJ does ...
  2. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

If you've ever tried to park on that campus, you know that's actually not that crazy. I know people who did worse than the football players parking-ticket-wise. Read on Twitter that Dept of Public Safety wrote 47,000+ tickets in 2010 alone.

Bigger question is who those cars were registered to, etc. If that's on the up-and-up, the ticket issue isn't really much.
  3. Sam Mills 51

I know Chapel Hill is a mess in terms of parking. North Carolina State isn't much better ... and worse, there's no space for relief on that campus as Raleigh completely surrounds it.

But, according to the link, Marvin Austin had 42 of those citations attributed to him alone. One would think that someone might learn the university DOT's quirks after the first half-dozen or so.
  4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

You'd think so, but like I said, I know regular old students who've done just as badly in that respect.

Also, those tickets are why Marvin Austin eventually ditched his car for a scooter, which is quite a sight with a 300-plus pound man on it.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Someone explain to me how you can have a license to drive anything other than a tricycle after 42 tickets
  6. Sam Mills 51

Hondo, in some places, being BMOC is enough. Some folks in Columbus might be able to offer details ...
  7. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Because they're parking tickets, not moving violations? Big difference.

Also, to follow up on the 47K number from before, this was the post I saw on Twitter: "Total Enrollment at UNC in 2010: 28,916 Parking Tickets Issued: 47,092" -- certainly doesn't excuse football players racking up dozens because they feel above the system, but it is a crazy comparison in general.
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Overzealous campus rent-a-cops? Surely you jest!
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. I got tons of parking tickets while I was running my college newspaper, since I would just park anywhere in order to actually get to places on time. It never carried over to my insurance rates, or to my overall driving record.
  10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I thought this was going to be about the Casey Anthony trial. Relieved.
  11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT is well played.
  12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

As someone who lived across the street from the Purdue football and basketball stadiums/practice fields/courts, this is not a UNC thing. It exists on every campus. Even the Div. III school I went to my freshman year had problems with athletes parking as close to the practice field as possible even if it wasn't actually a parking spot.

At Purdue, about once a week a football player would get the boot put on his vehicle. Every day it was the same 4-5 players who parked on my street illegally (must have permit because of lack of parking in that area). My dad, who was a high school coach, knew a player who thought he was smart and everyday he would put an old ticket on his window so the parking person thought they had already been ticketed. What he didn't bother to notice was that everyday the parking person replaced his old ticket with a new one. At the end of the year he was set to graduate but before he could he had to pay almost $3,000 in fines.

I didn't play sports after my freshman year but I still had roughly $600-700 total in my five years of college.
Draft saved Draft deleted