1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, that's not Ryan Miller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ditto.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

To be honest, I don't know. I used the Google and Wikipedia, and came up with nothing current on him. He'd be in his 70s now, I'm guessing, if he's still out there.

I grew up listening to him in San Diego in the early 1980s on I think... KSDO? He was definitely ahead of his time in the sports talk genre, wasn't he? I think I got on his show once ... maybe I was 15, and the topic was Steve Garvey's record (for then) contract with the Padres.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

One market where Stern tried and failed was Mpls/St. Paul. He couldn't knock off the top morning shows there. When I was living there I tried to listen, but the entire first week (maybe more), he spent saying, "I'm No. 1, I'm No. 1. My show's the greatest. I'm going to dominate (insert newest Stern market here)." That was it. That was the schtick. I felt like I wasted valuable minutes of my life giving that try.

As the old journalism saying goes: Show me, don't tell me.

4. vicd

vicd Active Member

I've never listened to much of his radio show but his old WOR televison show (not the E show) and his movie were both very funny.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I dont think Stern ever hit number 1 in Pittsburgh either and he was in the market from 1995 to whenever he made the Sirius switch. I used to be a regular but am now more of an occasional listener. As a rule, I change channels when he has on a pron star/stripper/some fan that just wants to show him her tits. What he's most known for is what I find least interesting. Meanwhile, he had Kathy Griffin on a couple of months ago and I was blown away by how candid she was about her past, most notably her child molester (allegedly) brother and how it ripped her family apart. If she were on any late night show the topic would have been "So, uhhh, Kathy, tell us what you've been up to lately..."

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

She wrote very very descriptively about her brother and the effect it had on her and her family in her latest book. A really interesting read.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Tread gently, lest he makes your SportsJournalists.com log-in his next target.

Draft saved Draft deleted