1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, that's not Brian Westbrook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mediaguy, Feb 23, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This crap has happened for 15-20 years now. Do the Howard Stern fans still think they're showing the "maturity" of the average Stern listener?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, they handled it about as well as they could have.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't care if its funny or not. I do care about the utter lack of quality control by the network news gatherers.

OJ chase
    JFK Jr. death
    Countless CNN breaking news stories
    Bartman
    Westbrook

Jesus, what gets through that we don't know about?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The guy behind the prank was explaining how he did it on Stern today.

He called up as Westbrook's manager said he wanted to tell his side.

ESPN said they'd call and tape an interview. He said he'd rather do it live because he didn't want his words to be chopped up and taken out of context. They asked for a number to call him and the prankster, who is from Philly, gave them his number.

I haven't heard it yet, I've heard it's pretty funny.

The Bartman one was classic. So was the OJ chase one.

5. Mizzougrad96

Van Pelt took it in stride.

6. OtterGrad

OtterGrad Member

I think CNN Headline News was about 10 seconds away from pronouncing Bush 41 dead the time he got food poisoning in Asia (Japan?). Never saw the clip, but apparently a producer can be heard off-camera telling them to hold the story.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Every time I hear a live audio interview on a TV show, I give 50-50 odds I'll either hear "Baba Booey" or something about Howard Stern's penis/anus.

They've been doing this for, what, more than 20 years now? How on earth are people -- at major broadcast and cable networks -- still falling for it?

8. Mizzougrad96

Bob Hope was pronounced dead on CNN (probably about 10 years before he died) and it was taken seriously enough that a congressman interrupted a meeting to announce it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Someone needs to find the Youtube of two Stern staffers standing behind a live feed when one of the major investing firms closed. I'd be stunned if anyone didn't find it hilarious.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's the nature of live TV. You are going to get that stuff unless the staffer makes the original call. Hell, in newspapers, there is little to stop someone from calling or emailing in a completely bogus high school game.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's not the call that is funny. It is the reaction to the call. Van Pelt did a great job with it. Heck, he should call Stern.

NSFW

Yes, I think this is very funny.

12. Mizzougrad96

Go on Youtube and look for "My Turban is Dirty" an absolute classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted