1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, can I work at Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, May 27, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You'd guess wrong. Both radio and TV were profitable through advertising by the time they became ubiquitous in American households. The Internet is already more than a decade behind on that.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But high speed internet (which is the true internet) is not completely available in all homes.

The biggest challenge facing education in the next 10-20 years is figuring out what to do with the students who do not have a high speed internet connection in their homes.

3. RickStain

I'm not sure how high-speed is relevant. You are talking about a means to get content to consumers. Consumers are already getting lots of content.

Advertisers aren't going to see high-speed saturation and suddenly start paying $5 per hundred page impressions rather than $.05.

4. 93Devil

But what you can do on the internet is decided by what type of connection you have.

Try going to Hulu on a dial up.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My buddy runs his own hedge fund. Without going into the details, which frankly I don't understand, the instability of the market in 2008 led to his best year ever. This was the same year they moved into prime Manhattan office space, built a kitchen in the space and hired a full-time chef to prepare all three meals every day. In March, all 60 employees were invited with their spouses, significant others, and/or children on a trip to Cancun. This is in addition to the annual Vegas trip for all employees. He also has a big company party every year in January, when he hires someone to find out what the hottest club in New York is and then book it exclusively on a Saturday night. I went this year (it was at Tao) and it was about 800 people, open bar, and when we walked out at 4 a.m., there was a fleet of SUVs lined up by the sidewalk to take us all to breakfast at a fancy restaurant.

6. RickStain

But I'm not seeing how that's relevant to ad revenue. Better types of content will get you more eyeballs, but eyeballs aren't the internet's problem. Oversaturation of ad providers is.

7. 93Devil

Do you have a high-speed connection?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There was a GQ article a few months ago detailing facebook and how it plans to make money in the future. It also talks about how Zuckerburg has had offers to sell facebook for a billion dollars - or some ungodly amount like that.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ahhh... here it is.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_7640

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can I be your friend? :)

And what exactly is a hedge fund? I've never understood that.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

In his case, it's a bunch of computer programmers (no finance guys) who sit around and write programs that automatically buy and sell stocks, sometimes holding them for just minutes at a time, based on algorithms and stuff like that. We went to high school together, but he went on to MIT, which demonstrates how much smarter he is than I. I suppose it might not be accurate to call it a hedge fund, because they don't actually hold on to anything overnight. It's more like a day-trading firm staffed entirely by computer geeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What the hell kind of question is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted