1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Um, can I work at Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, May 27, 2009.

1. Check out these benefits:

Insurance: To make your life easier, Facebook pays 100% of employee benefit premiums and 50% of any dependent premiums in the United States. This includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability coverage, as well as the Employee Assistance Program. We also provide 50% reimbursement of most monthly gym fees. We comply with local regulations in all non-U.S. locations.

For the parents: Facebook offers all eligible full-time, U.S. employees up to 4 months of Paid Parental Leave to attend to the birth or adoptive placement of your child. While an employee is on Paid Parental Leave, Facebook will continue your health benefits, stock vesting, 401 (k), gym membership and Purple Tie as if you had continued to work full-time. Facebook also will provide $4,000 baby cash to all new custodial parents who are full-time U.S. employees at the time of birth or placement.

Daycare: All full-time regular employees who have one or more children age 5 or under at any point during the calendar year (incurred after your start date) are eligible to be reimbursed for up to $3,000 toward day care/babysitting assistance per year.

Time off
    Paid Time Off (PTO): We know that passion and commitment has to be paired with rest and balance. We offer 21 days of paid vacation to make sure you take a break once in a while.
    Sick Time and Holidays: If you're sick, stay home and get better (unlimited sick days.) There are also 11 paid holidays observed at Facebook.

Food: This may be our most awesome perk. Facebook provides microkitchens and lots of great, free snacks at just about all its major worldwide locations. At our Palo Alto headquarters, we also offer free breakfast, lunch and dinner at our Cafe. Whether you're looking for healthy salads, hearty world cuisine from countries such as Belize and India, or just a couple slices of pizza, Chef Josef and his team of culinary geniuses make it happen every day.

http://www.facebook.com/careers/perks.php

Don't get me wrong ... the benefits at my place are pretty good. But I've never heard of a company with stuff like this.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And I thought the benefits at my new place were great.

They are, but Facebook's take the cake. I'd love to work there.

3. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Wow. And I'll tell you what, Facebook. You can keep the food. That's definitely wouldn't be the best part of all that for me.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

where do i sign up?

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The only comparable one I've seen is Teh Google!

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't imagine why not, Buckdub, when they're shelling out 100k per year per person in benefits and chow.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Their (apparent) lack of a business model probably hurts more.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I did just friend Chef Josef, however.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There's nothing there about furloughs or pay freezes. And what exactly are employer 401k contributions?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh be quiet. Everyone's going to make money!!! The Internet is the future! [/internet startups circa 2000]

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are a handful of companies in the DC area that offer cool shit like that. One place I interviewed with last year gave unlimited vacation time, and they meant it. I have a friend who works there and although she doesn't make the salary she'd want in 20 years, she's more than happy to work there 20 years simply because of the bennies.

The company has a video game room to blow off steam, and there are ski trips, river rafting trips, etc...every few months.

Just an awesome place to work and be creative. No dress code. The day I interviewed, I wore khakis and a golf shirt and I was over-dressed. Big time. One of the eight people I interviewed with asked why I had my shirt tucked it. Told me to untuck it. Be comfortable.

People rode their skateboards though the office.

Just a silly workplace environment. And they're making money, too. Not as much as before, but still turning a profit from what I hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted