1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ultra-left: Here's your perfect Christmas pilgrimage trip.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 6, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's too late for Yawn's parents to do what they should have done years ago.

2. And that would be your winner.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I agree, but why is the government closed on Christmas?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I had this same setup on my front lawn. I guess I'll have to take it down. :'(

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Winter solstice? Does it matter, really?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is America. You are free to leave it up.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

;D

Almost as funny as equating the ACLU with Stalin.
    Josef Stalin = Champion, err, Charmion of Civil Liberties.
    Under Stalin, those who would limit freedom of expression soon found themselves in a gulag. You know, one of those civil liberties gulags.

Why is the government closed on Christmas? Cultural tradition, owing to the fact that Christianity is the majority religion. Same reason there's "In God We Trust" on the money and that there are government-paid-for Christmas decorations along the main street of the little town where I live. I consider myself a strong proponent of church-state seperation, but I don't see these small hypocrisies as problematic. I don't get too worked up about the symbolic.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leave Yawn along. The ACLU is a bunch of damn commies who are always out trying to stir up trouble and uphold the cruddy Constitution!

Who needs a bunch of words on paper written by a bunch of old farts centuries ago. I trust George Bush to figure out what is right and wrong.

Oh, and a bunch of drunken, bow-tie-wearing TU students, too.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes it matters. The left rarely engages in actions for which they must sacrifice. I'd like to see the ACLU stand as squarely for the 2nd amendment as it does for the 4th or 5th. I think the ACLU's position on abortion is weak and indefensible. It rests on the unprovable (for now) assertion that life begins at the moment of birth and anything that occurs before that is a private medical decision of the mother. What if the assertion is wrong? Shouldn't we, as a society, ere on the the side of life. And the right to life should be protected by the government. Similarly, it's easy for the secular left to protest Nativity scenes. It's means nothing to them. But I don't see the left suing over the closure of government in honor of the birth of the Lord's son, a Deity in his own right.

10. That's an unusual last name that the "executive director" has. Let's see if we can find someone else with the same one.
    Ooops. Look at that.
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Charles_Wyly_and_Sam_Wyly
    Strange how that works out.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Nice work, Fenian.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Because there's nothing as All-American as guilt by association. One of Fenian's favorite tactics.

Not that all the "War on Christmas" screaming isn't just noise, and stupid noise at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted