1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ultimate in uniform BS: black numbers on black jerseys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 15, 2014.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

No, not Oklahoma University. Oakland University of Detroit.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When Harold Ballard owned the Maple Leafs, he didn't allow names on the back of the jerseys because he wanted fans to have to buy a program. Then the NHL ruled that names had to be there, so Ballard put them on ... the same color as the jersey. I know there are a lot of great Harold Ballard stories out there.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Rochester, but close enough. Hell, OU is closer to Detroit than the Detroit Pistons are

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I only recognize Detroit Mercy and Wayne State as Detroit colleges. Screw the Griz. I'm still mad at them for leaving the GLIAC.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We had a prep football team several years ago that had white uniforms with white numbers outlined by a small strip of blue. Damn team won the state championship that year and loved to play in those uniforms.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Have one local high school football team that will wear black unis with red outline numbers on occasion, much to the dismay of the press box crew. At least for their sectional title game, they went with solid white numbers on a red background.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I've got a local high school that for its home uni has slate blue/grey numbers on a slate grey jersey ... you need binoculars to see the numbers, and even then its easy to get them wrong ...

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon played the entire first season at TTATT Court without a visible half-court line.

9. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

I had a high school football team some years ago whose road unis were white pants and white jerseys with yellow/gold looking numbers with no piping. Impossible to see from the press box

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The BC Lions rolled out these jerseys last year
    [​IMG]
    and on TV and in person they are pretty much impossible to read the numbers. The first time they wore them, I had never heard a TV crew complain so much about a jersey. However, the CFL basically being Reebok's bitch when it comes to uniform design will not make them come up with something more legible. It is a terrible trend that more an more teams in more sports are going to. The only sport I think that could get away with it -- baseball -- thankfully has not done this yet that I have seen.

Mind you, I covered a junior hockey team last night that decided to take the ugly Christmas sweater fad too far last night and wore these for their game:
    [​IMG]

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wow, that's bad. And Santa has a big sack.

Beef03 likes this.
  12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The worst part is that they can't freaking spell, their name is the Grizzlys, and I cringe every time I type it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted