1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ullrich Joins Forces with Armstrong Against Landis?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

MSNBC News Services
    Updated: 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
    Jan Ullrich is looking for a new team so he can end his career with a Tour de France victory next year.

The German rider, who was barred from the Tour de France and fired by his T-Mobile team in a doping scandal, told the Swiss daily Blick on Tuesday that he was in contact with Lance Armstrong’s Discovery Channel team but that no concrete agreement had been reached.

“I have always said, ’I will finish with a Tour victory,”’ Ullrich said. “Unfortunately, this year I was prevented from doing so. That’s why I will try to add another year
    Ullrich, who won the 1997 Tour and was runner-up five times behind the seven-time winner Armstrong, was considered a leading contender for this year’s Tour. He was forced out on the eve of the race because of his links to a Spanish doping investigation            Slide show: The Week in Sports Pictures

Earlier, in an interview with Swiss tabloid newspaper Blick, the German rider maintained his innocence and said he refused to accept his sacking.

“I do not accept the termination of my contract because in my opinion there is no reason for it,” Ullrich said. “I expected more support from the team.

“I have never cheated another rider in my whole career. That is a fact. This year I have undergone 11 unannounced doping tests in training and countless out-of-competition tests, all of which were negative.”

Leipheimer joins Discovery Channel
    Levi Leipheimer will leave Team Gerolsteiner at the end of the season and sign for Discovery Channel, according to Gerolsteiner bike sponsor Specialized.

"My best results, wins at the Tour of Germany and Dauphiné Libéré, happened on my S-Works Tarmac SL, but Discovery (Channel) made me an offer I could not refuse," Leipheimer said.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14026397/                                       

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. First Napster and now this.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The last I read was that Armstrong and Discovery are interested not in Ullrich but in Floyd Landis.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Cycling/2006/07/23/1698984-ap.html

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Maybe Floyd told Lance to fuck off.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or maybe your big "scoop" thread just went down the shitter.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Considering Landis is about to have a hip replaced, I can't imagine anyone's too concerned with either signing him for next year or competing against him next year.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Considering how well he pedalled with a busted hip, and considering how well Bo Jackson played major league baseball with an artifical hip, I'm not worried about Landis.

Landis will be competitive again. Maybe not next year, but in a couple years.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Agree, to an extent. But I was only talking about next year.

10. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I don't remember Bo doing much with the ceramic hip. He was probably my favorite all-time athlete -- maybe tied with Herschel -- but he was a sad sight there at the end.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

That was a century ago in hip replacement technology time.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

d_b, I think you catch a lot of shit on here. Some warranted, some not. But sweet BBJ, you look like a damned fool on this one.

That being said, it looks like Armstrong is stockpiling a pretty good Discovery squad for next year with Levi, and possibly Floyd or Jan.

Draft saved Draft deleted