1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UKy basketball "locks out" student paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 30, 2011.

1. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

Agreed.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So, the student reporters have the walk-ons phone numbers already. UK and Peevy restrict the reporters access to the athletes. What's stopping the reporters from calling the walk-ons whenever they want? Why do the reporters need access to the athletes to talk to them when they can call them whenever they want?
    Talk about a teaching moment. The student reporters can learn a valuable lesson in cultivating contacts. It's great to be able to get in contact with the people you cover whenever you want. The trick is knowing when to make contact with them.

3. The most telling part of the story is at the end, when the university spokesman runs away from the issue and says let the athletic department media relations handle comment. Guess we know who's running that university these days.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

One major southern college sends memos to beat writers reminding them it's against NCAA rules for reporters to talk to recruits during on-campus visits, rather then phrasing the right way, which is: it's against the NCAA rules if the school lets it happen. I know one editor who then informed said SID department that if a reporter bumped into the kid in the parking lot and he verbally committed to that school, they were writing it, and they could go bleep themselves. Reporters are not subject to NCAA rules.

5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

What amazes me about this is that the Kernel was taken to task for violating an UNWRITTEN policy. If it's so fuck-all important, then write it the fuck down and hand it out with your media guides!

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

2x. and one of the principals involved got his practice trying to enforce that policy on me. Hayden and Peevy are both great guys. Unfortunately they work for a guy who I presume is somewhat of a megalomaniac.

7. SellOut

SellOut Member

Policy pre-dates Cal, who is in South America and probably has no idea what's going on. When he came to UK, I heard he was going to open practice just like he did when he was trying to drum up attention at Memphis. It lasted all of one day. What's happening here is pervasive at many schools, and to be honest the balance of power has shifted drastically. UK and other big-time schools don't need the local outlets as much as the local outlets need them, which is a scary paradigm to consider going forward.
    Suck up and yes, you get access. When the shit hits the fan you're as screwed as everybody else. Oh, and you have to find ways to sleep with yourself at night.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My friend, you'd never survive the Penn State football beat with that attitude. :D

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think every reporter on that beat, shot, is overly deferential in one way or another. But it's because they have to, or else credentials will get pulled. So I'm told.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm still giggling at UKy. Big Blue fans would be irate at the disrespect. :D

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I covered them one bowl game. Wanted to shoot myself.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes they would. And it'd be hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted