1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ukraine Always Get What You Want

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 12, 2022.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

… but with Putin looking to roll into the country any minute now, he’ll get what he needs.

Thought maybe the coming disaster would be worth its own thread, especially now that OSINT Twitter is full of reports Russia is pulling its diplos from in county.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I always thought World War 3 would start in the Middle East. It looks like it's going back to its old stomping grounds, Europe.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The subtextual stuff is pretty interesting to think about.

Someone upthread said the invasion would be a fait accompli with Trump in office right now.

Team Biden is taking this all the way in the other direction but so is Putin but so is Biden but so is Putin.

This Biden staredown vis-a-vis Trump's compliance to Putin is pretty phenomenal.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The safe money was on India-Pakistan or Israel-Random Moslem State. But Russia-Ukraine? I didn't have that on the Global Thermonuclear War bingo card.

And yeah, Biden is either serious or a very good bluffer. With COVID, inflation and wackadoodle Republicans, getting involved in a land war near Asia is only slightly moronic than going up against a Sicilian with death on the line. Ask Plato, Aristotle and Socrates!

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

слава україні !

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm putting this here because.

https://pagesix.com/2022/02/12/tobey-maguire-couldnt-land-a-girl-during-night-out-with-leo-dicaprio

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's because anyone who's seen Molly's Game knows how big a piece of shit Tobey Maguire is.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Russia is saying that they fear a Ukrainian attack on Donbas. Like they are dumb enough to provide Russia with an excuse to invade when they can't do much to stop it.

Ukraine isn't putting a hundred thousand troops on Russia's border, and NATO isn't either.

I really hope that Putin isn't misreading this. I don't think that he can roll the tanks in without this blowing up in a big way.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He’s counting on a few things that will likely keep this from blowing up
    1. It always comes back to the Soviet nukes. He knows the West is going to treat him with kid gloves because of those nukes. Otherwise there might if the US and the NATO allies will make his life miserable and despite putting up a strong effort, will eventually lose.
    2. Poland and Germany need Russian energy. A long conflict screws those civilians and their governments.
    3. A fractured US may not have the will to fight especially after Afghanistan.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted