1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Terror Plot Thwarted

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

No soup for you!

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thing is, you wouldn't need to hijack the plane to blow it up in the air.

For clarification's sake, are they banning snakes on the plane?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Some CNN reporter just said "dranken" in reference to the formula test. Is that a word?

Seriously, this is a nightmare for people who make their living (including many of us) using laptops. I can't imagine leaving mine in checked luggage.

Every time a story like this breaks, my immediate thought is that it is just a little more likely one will succeed. As the security types like to say, we have to be successful 100 percent of the time. They only have to be successful once.

4. Never thought I'd say these words:
    Amtrak sounds like a good idea.
    Laptop-friendly.

BTW, a hearty "Well done, lads" to the Brits who stopped this disaster.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Amen, brother.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've heard that Heathrow has been almost completely shut down, except for intercontinental flights to/from Asia and the Americas. Pretty much all of the European airlines have cancelled their flights to Heathrow for today.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Snakes allowed, but no snake-bite serum. It's liquid.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I dunno about Amtrak. Not trying to sew seeds of panic here, but the attacks on trains in Europe and Japan have been more frequent than those against planes.

9. Safe? Not necessarily.
    Punctual? Not so much.
    Laptop friendly? Hell yeah.
    And if you miss your connection, they'll put you up for free in a crack motel. Had the joy of an unplanned overnight in Wilson, N.C., thanks to Asscrak one time.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Line of the day.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My mom is flying into Toronto from the UK on Saturday. Talked to her today and she said nobody seems to really know what's going on at the airports over there. Should be interesting when I pick her up and cross the border back into the States. I'm anticipating a loooooonngg wait at the border.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

IN A WAY, the terrorists have won if now we can't bring any liquids or lotions or jels onto planes.

Draft saved Draft deleted