1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK nanny state update: Kids who dislike spicy food might be 'racist'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I dislike asparagus and squash. Who does this make me prejudiced against?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good one, AQB.

2muchcoffee -- you better not be dissin' the Veggie Tales. You'll have toddlers gnawing on your ankles.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

I got nothin' against green beans, peas, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli (forgot that the first time), potatoes, cucumbers, cole slaw, and lima beans ... but I draw the line at squash and asparagus. That shit's just evil from a seed.

Besides, it's not like the U.K. can claim any great culinary achievements. There's a damn good reason they built an empire --- they wanted something decent for dinner.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon. Asparagus makes your pee smell funny. What could be bad about that? And in these parts, if you dis squash, it just encourages the gardeners to leave more on your doorstep.

6. Armchair_QB

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hey, you leave me out of this

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously? Britain has an amazing culinary heritage. Shit, we even had the world's first celebrity chef. Marco Pierre White.

Then, there's Fergus Henderson.

And I shouldn't even need to bring up Gordon Ramsey.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

One word that puts that statement to bed: Haggis. :-\ :-X

And we won't even talk about black pudding, eel pie, faggots (both original pork and Mr. Brain's), deviled kidney, spotted dick, toad in the hole, steak and kidney pudding or jellied eels. Not too excited about hindle wakes or bangers and mash, either. :-X

(Yes, I do know what all those are.)

Although fish and chips are okay.

:D

10. Armchair_QB

Technically, haggis isn't British. It's Scottish.

And if it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!!!!!

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Ha! Scotland has been part of Great Britain since 1707. :D

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You just get a giggle about funny names for dishes, or actually find out what they are?

Spotted Dick: Sponge cake with raisens

Toad in the Hole: Sausages surrounded by slightly thicker than pancake batter.

Bangers and Mash: Sausages and Mashed potatoes.

Steak and Kidney pie: Exactly what it sounds like, except not overcooked, awful cow and pig kidney that usually gets served over here.

I'm surprised you didn't throw something like blood cake on there, which is delicious, and a varient of black pudding, which is more like its sausage version.

No-one should ever knock any food until they've actually tried it. Or, you could try traditional countryside fare from Britain, like pheasant, game hen, venison or lamb.

Draft saved Draft deleted