1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Magazine: The strange decline of the paperboy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess newspapers in England aren't having the same problems we are, they can't find enough delivery people to throw papers ...

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Shoot, she gets up at 6:15? Must be nice to have a print time that late.

That's why kids don't throw papers anymore. Having them pick up papers at 1 a.m. would be considered child abuse.
  3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Did you know: England, Wales and Scotland combined are smaller than Michigan.
  4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

£15 for delivering papers? When I was a paper boy, I was lucky to get half that a week...
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's strange that children don't want to work at 5 a.m. for almost nothing?
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I have some knowledge about the situation. I throw a country route after I get off work for extra money. Takes me less than three hours and I get $1500 a month. (More than what I make working for the paper after taxes, health insurance, and a substantial 401K installment to make up for a stupid former indifference to retirement.) It sucks paying for gas every other night, but I can write those miles off my taxes. That's the beauty of it.

The press starts at midnight and the paper wants all deliveries done by 5 a.m. That's impossible for a kid in school, on a bike, in the dark. In summertime, it gets daylight a lot earlier and kids are out of school, so that would be a better time to take a route, but only on a temporary basis. It would have to be subcontracted out by a carrier, because most papers won't hire kids anymore.

The death of the PM paper has also contributed to the demise of the old-school paperboy.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for PETA protests, we could solve this problem in a heartbeat.

Draft saved Draft deleted