1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Independent Commentary on Middle East

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 31, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/who-cares-in-the-middle-east-what-obama-says-2290761.html

This is vicious. Talk about pulling no punches. Hardest on Netenyahu, but takes dead aim at pretty much everyone (except the Palestinians, of course).

I just wanted to post this because of the thought that Obama is anti-Israel to an extent. This goes way over the top the other way.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Independent is known for being hysterically anti-Israel.

About the only foreign policy move Obama could have made in the Mideast the Independent would have approved of would have been if he nuked out Tel Aviv.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

All the Obama bashing aside (and that column went out of its way to make Obama look bad...I don't like the guy but, jeez, that was to the point of ridicule) could you tell, Starman, what the guy was trying to say? Other than "Israel is evil and just a puppet of the United States, it seemed like the guy was taking a long and winding road of verbal assault just to make the point that the Middle East will do what it will do, regardless of what the United States thinks. Was that point ever really in dispute? Other than military intervention, is anyone saying otherwise? I just found the entire thing pretty pointless.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Most people find The Independent pretty pointless, to be fair.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

OK, I was kind of hoping that was the case because this is pretty irresponsible.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I occasionally buy it when my train station newsstand doesn't have my preferred paper*. I'm invariably disappointed.

*-The Guardian. What did you expect. :)

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

LOL.

The thing that surprised me about this rant is that it does not really pander to any certain viewpoint (except, I guess, the Muslim extremist). I mean, did this guy think he was writing some kind of rallying cry?

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I recently watched a documentary where a Muslim Extremist accused The Independent of hating Muslims.

Draft saved Draft deleted