1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK fans to Feinstein: No Christmas card this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jun 7, 2007.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I agree on this. Duke and UNC are right down the road from each other. It's pretty much the same around here. UK and Louisville are only 65 miles of interstate apart. Louisville is only an hour and a half from Bloomington. Columbus, OH, is three hours north of Lexington; Knoxville is three hours south. Cincinnati is an hour from Lexington and two from Louisville. So in UK, UofL, IU, OSU and UC, you've got five historically successful basketball programs all in the same general region (none is more than four hours from another) and Tennessee (which is becoming a good basketball program) is close.

It doesn't matter that much, since programs like UK, UofL, IU, Duke and UNC all recruit nationally. Both UK and UofL have found success in New York/NJ, California and Texas in the past. Same for IU, Duke and UNC.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

UNC still would have done less with more, like the whole program. Dean Smith should have had about four or five titles, but a lot of the times seemed to piss it away. He should have made all those final fours, he usually had the most talent.

He won his two titles because a kid frm the other team (Brown from Gtown and Webber from Michigan) made boneheaded plays. God I hate UNC.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, Bob. Dean did have a lot of talent, but you'd be amazed how many coaches seemed to piss away talent if you think about all the programs who had long-term runs of success (I guess, for the sake of this argument, we'll label success as programs who crank out 20-win seasons with the efficiency of Wal-Mart's abilities to sell merchandise). Outside of John Wooden, there's probably not a great college coach you couldn't to whom you couldn't attach that label.

Hype is a pretty dangerous tool in the hands of the media ... Chapel Hill was overhyped for years - the argument could easily made that it still is - and Duke wears that tag as well, hence the truckloads of scorn harbored by their detractors.

Sure, Chapel Hill grabbed two titles because of notoriously boneheaded plays. No argument there. They still had to do the work in the regular seasons and NCAA Tournaments to win those titles and let those dumb plays determine the outcome.

FWIW, I'm about as far from a Chapel Hill fan as one will find.

Draft saved Draft deleted