1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK fans to Feinstein: No Christmas card this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jun 7, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I typed a sentence that said there was nothing to do in Kentucky but follow the sports team and mine coal. It was a half-hearted joke, but most people cannot read sarcasm into posts.

There are no major professional teams in Kentucky. I explained this a few posts earlier, so that is why there is such a focus on the college. It is this way in most of your college towns that have strong sports programs (Durham, Norman, Austin, Tucson, Columbus, Charlottesville, Gainsville, Blacksburg, see the trend?) do not have a tie to a major city (New York, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego). They are the pro team of this area.

A few people in Kentucky are just so hung up on dissacoiating themsleves from the Western coal miners, it's kind of funny.

It actually helps to explain to me why UK fans are so sensitive to anything said or written about their athletic programs.

I actually have to go, Chris Mills is on line 1.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Working in tobacco sucks ass. I did it a couple of times, never again.

And we're not insecure about our home state. But when you make statements about how the whole state is such and such, we do get our panties in a wad, yes. Most people rip on Kentucky without having ever been to it. They've just seen Next of Kin and think we're all like that.

At least for me, part of it has to do with these fucking do-gooder bleeding hearts coming to the moutnains, finding the most backwoods hillbillies they can find, do a "documentary" on them and making it seem like the whole state is like that. THAT gets me real pissed. Like that fucking Kennedy bitch who came down and did one a few year back.

Get a new topic, like so many of the men in your family are a bunch of alcoholic, woman abusing fuckheads.

There, I feel better now.

Coal mining has nothing to do with UK being the pro team of the area, what is the connection. We do have the Reds for about 3/4 of the state. Is there any difference between a state which loves its college teams and a pro town. Hell, I lived near Cleveland, those people are just as messed up over the Browns, and they suck.

93, I expected more from a Steelers' fan.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So what? That doesn't mean there's nothing to do round these parts after the Derby.

4. 93Devil

Sorry, Bob, but I am actually the son of a steel worker, so if I was the son of a coal miner, it would not bother me in the least.

I have been in Kentucky. It is a nice state. I never said it was not.

And actually your generalization about my dad was spot on for about a five-year stretch.

I just do not like people saying they are not like a certain portion of their state. They are different. It is not them. I read into that they think they are better than those coal miners.

But back to UK basketball...

I think they should worry a lot more about Bruce Pearl then John Feinstein.

5. 93Devil

Then your fans should get off of John Feinstein's back about something he said on XM radio.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, being different does not make one better.

I'm different than Chris Jones. I'm sure as shit not a better writer.

You're an idiot. I rest on that point. You're nitpicking our responses to your crass generalization, it's transparent, and it's stupid as shit. You have zero arguing skills, and I refuse to be a part of your blathering any further.

7. KYSportsWriter

Eastern Kentucky and Western Kentucky ARE different. Very different. Just like NKY and southern Kentucky are different. Central Kentucky, where I'm almost located, is a completely different entity from those four. I think IJAG, Bob Slydell and KG can attest to that.

8. KYSportsWriter

My fans? I don't claim UK our Louisville, so I don't know what you're talking about...

9. Bob Slydell

They are very different. Hell, people outside of Louisville hate to include it as part of Kentucky.

But I agree, UK fans should pay more attention ot Bruce Pearl than Feinstein.

But they won't. Very defensive bunch.

10. Bob Slydell

It has noting to do with being better than a coal miner. There are good people and total pieces of crap in EKY, just like everywhere else. My pioint is the outsiders who paints us all with a broad brush. Just pisses me off. And they never say we're a bunch of blueblood horse loving, bourbon drinking upper class people. It's always the oxycontin, moonshine drinking, cousin loving, inbread hillbillies. Always.

And I've only used oxycontin once. And my cousins are hot. But I'm hardly a hillbilly, I'm from horse country.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

1) Most of the coal in this state is mined is in EASTERN Ky, not the western part of the state. There are indeed coal mines in WKY though (as there are oil fields, although not that many).

2) You do the research, talk about "a lot of schools" being heated by it and then somehow claim I was ripping the profession (never did, never said I didn't claim them) ... and then say, "Oh wait, it was a half-hearted sarcastic joke!"

Who in the hell gave you waffling advice, Billy Donovan?

So was it a joke (which failed miserably) or a statement (which was a poor, poor stereotype).

We'll await your witty repartee ...

12. KG

KG Active Member

Yes they are all very different. I'm from the Paducah area and I have a good friend from the Harlan area. We have lots of laughs just figuring out what ways where we grew up were the same.

Wun thing's fur shur. If yeh saigh hollow instead of hollar, yeh ain't frum these parts. Yeh might be able to git away with saighin holla though.

(Sorry I've been thinking in an appalachian accent all day)

Draft saved Draft deleted