1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK fans to Feinstein: No Christmas card this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jun 7, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Boy, you can really tell when people are insecure about their home state.

The comment about coal mining was to point out that UK basketball is the pro team of this area. There are no professional teams other than AAA baseball. In the fall and winter you have UK football (most seasons out of the bowl race by mid October) and Louisville football. Louisville has been hot recently, but no UK fan would ever cheer for a team in red.

So all the sports focus is targeted on Kentucky. With the past history of Rupp, yes, there are some very high expectations, and all these expectations simmer the entire summer until the start of basketball.

I still cannot figure out what has made people so mad about "Once the horse race ends, there really is nothing else to follow in the state other than mining coal or shoveling it into your boiler at home."

Did I type anything negative? I never used words that questioned the educational level of the state's residents. I just pointed out that there is nothing to do or follow once the Derby has ended.

Maybe if I would have said age bourbon and drink it people would have been so hot.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But no one in Lexington "follows" coal mines, or shovels coal. Nor does 80 percent of the state. So your point was lost in an age-old, stupid stereotype.

THAT'S the point.

3. 93Devil

You have 246 working coal mines in your state. I'm guessing that they employ a few people, and a few of those people might root for Kentucky.

Your state produces coal and bourbon. Florida produces oranges. North Carolina produces tobacco and furniture. Hawaii produces sugar cane. Pennsylvania used to produce steel. Michigan produces cars or used to. Texas produces cattle. Iowa produces grains. Arizona produces copper. Alabama and Georgia produces cotton. Idaho produces potatoes.

Do you see what I am getting at? It's not a stereotype. It's just the facts, and believe it or not, it's taught in schools.

Why are you not proud that your state produces coal?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We know you hate him... He's still the best college hoops beat writer in the country... ;D

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't "hate" Jerry. I just don't agree with that assessment, nor do I think his notebooks are ever worth the 120 inches of space they're given a week.

And 93Devil...I've explained it as many times as I can. If you don't get it, there's not much I can do for you. Side note: Pretty sure Kentucky has a pretty fucking big tobacco crop, more so than coal (though I don't have numbers on that, and I'm sure you'll go google to prove me wrong). And, for the record? I was born in Michigan and spent my formative years in Ohio.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

C'mon, his notebooks are rarely longer than 75 inches... ;D

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

WITH ZERO PERTINENT INFORMATION MOST TIMES.

Great, Pat Riley played in a golf tournament. Wow, Gimel Martinez got a new job as a banker. Fabulous.

(to clarify, I haven't read one of JT's notebooks in at least 3 years. But the previous 13 years showed me all I needed to know.)

8. 93Devil

It's just that you went off on a comment that I really didn't think was all that bad.
    If someone posted that all Pennsylvanians were union loafers or Virginians were all still fighting the Civil War or all Arizonans were all from Mexico, I would not give it two seconds of thought. We just have different levels of tolerance on that I guess.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But that part's true!

10. 93Devil

hahaha

Regretfully, a lot of them are.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

93Devil,

Unlike our fair IJAG, I was born and raised in Kentucky. Still live in the same city where I was born.

But I'm failing to see the sense of this coal diatribe you had to dig up. Kentucky is more known for all of the below:

- Fried Chicken (KFC)
    - Thoroughbreds (Kentucky Derby/Churchill Downs/stables and farms in Lexington and Versailles)
    - Baseball bats (Louisville Slugger)
    - Boxing (Muhammad Ali)
    - Being Abraham Lincoln's birthplace
    - Spelunking (Horse Cave, Cave City, Mammoth Cave)
    - Bourbon (you spell it as soon as you enter Bardstown/Nelson County as well as the Woodford Reserve).

Than coal. And other than your distorted views of how the rest of the country views Kentucky, it is not even close.

So after the Derby is over, people in Louisville, Lexington, Covington (AKA Cincinnati South), Ashland, Frankfort, Bowling Green, Owensboro, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Elizabethtown, etc., are supposed to devote their time to coal? I'm in a county of 100,000+ and I would bet less than 10 percent can tell you what the biggest coal mine is in the state or even where the closest one can be found.

If you would have said "Once the horse race ends, there really is nothing else to follow in the state" (and left it at that) you wouldn't have gotten near as much crap. But no, Boy Genius has to throw in a line about the far eastern portion of the state where most people don't live, don't work, don't visit and don't have any ties to.

And FWIW, I doubt many homes in this state have boilers you can shovel coal in anyway.

For the viewing pleasure of the group, please continue to make a jackass of yourself. Go ahead. We'll wait.

Or start backpedaling. That could be amusing too.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Honest Abe didn't stick around KY too long, though. Did he leave so he wouldn't have to work in the coal mines? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted