1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK At It Again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Sammi

Sammi Member

Can't speak to the tone of the question, but for UK to ban reporter from talking to player????

http://www.uksportsinfo.com/tag/jerry-tipton-banned-from-michael-kidd-gilchrist

Here's the Q&A in question, with clarification:
    http://www.kentucky.com/2011/10/05/1908022/kentuckys-kidd-gilchrist-talks.html#disqus_thread

The paraphrased "offending" question: ""When you were 2 years old your father died from multiple gun shots. How did that affect you?"

2. Is this for real?

If DeWayne Peevy weren't already considered a joke by most who have dealt with him, he's certainly doing a good job of cementing his reputation.

The questions in Q&A's are edited for context and clarity all the time.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ridiculous.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Weird on multiple levels.

5. imjustagirl

Yeah, on the serious, what's with the Matt Jones love? Just because he's a homer?

6. imjustagirl

That's what I figured.

7. writingump

writingump Member

This makes UK look very small.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

UK's overreaction is laughable, but I am going to assume that was an editing change and would like to state for the record that is was a piss-poor editing change.

I understand wanting to get in how the kid's father died, but you've got to do better than that.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't. Fuck. With. Jerry. Tipton.

10. Here is the change. It's clumsy, yes, but it adds context to the question in a way that the original one would not. I guess I'm confused as to why Peevy got so worked up over it.

The question was printed as follows in Wednesday’s Herald-Leader: “Your father died of multiple gunshot wounds when you were 2 years old. How did that affect you?”

In a clarification added to the online story Wednesday, the Herald-Leader said the question asked in the interview with Kidd-Gilchrist was: “My father died when I was 2 years old. So that grabbed my attention. How did that affect you?“

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree it adds context. I agree it's clumsy. I don't understand why UK would get in a hissy about it.

But I was explaining this to someone who thought it was just awful to bring up the shooting like that.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So it sounds like Peevy got worked up because Tipton asked Gilchrist a question, and the two have something in common (both their dads died at age 2). Jesus, DeWayne! Let the media do their jobs, for Christ's sake.

Am I also to understand that something got messed up in the editing process? Um, McClatchy, an explanation?

Draft saved Draft deleted