1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uhhmm, AP, how many Beckham stories are you going to shove down our throats?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just askin.'

::) ::)

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Just like Botts' posts, you CAN ignore those story if you don't want to use them.

Of course, I'm no newspaper expert.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fewer stories, more photos, please.

[​IMG]

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There can never be enough Beckham stories. There can, however, be too many pictures of his wife looking like Skeletor.

You may not like it, but it is a pretty big story, and I don't even like the MLS.

5. sportschick

IJAG's a girl after me own heart.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. MLS is a very minor niche sport in the U.S.

2. Beckham was actually dropped from Man U and Real because he really isn't good enough to play at that level anymore. It would be like Michael Jordan going to play for some British league basketball team.

3. The Spice Girls haven't had a hit in 9 years, and were never really that big in the U.S. anyway. Tiffany would be a bigger name to U.S. audiences. I guarantee you 900 out of 1,000 U.S. adults between 15-35 have no clue in hell who Posh Spice is (or was).

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

It may be a big story for soccer, but soccer is a mere caraway seed in the bun of American sports.
    Pele was big. Cruyff was big (or should have been). In 2007, Beckham not so much.

8. sportschick

Then don't run them. He's been front page in our paper all week, and we've had no complaints. And we're not in L.A. We do, however, have a huge immigrant population that loves soccer. Just because you guys don't like him or his wife (who's all over Us and People, BTW, so I bet more people know who she is than you think) doesn't mean it's not a story.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm with you, except for one small issue.

$250,000,000

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

He is good enough to play at that level. Real tried to keep him after he signed with LA, and several English clubs are interested in borrowing him in the Galaxy's offseason.

It's more like if Jordan left to play in Europe after his first retirement. There's still quite a bit of fuel left in the tank.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let's see.
    You complain when AP doesn't send some bullshit college baseball game lede (that 90% of the country doesn't care about) fast enough.
    You complain when they only send a 10" optional on a college football game (that 90% of the country doesnlt care about) that you want to run 20" on.

Now you complain because they're sedning too much on something YOU don't care about but a lot of other people do.

Just brilliant

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's really cultural news as much as it is sports news. That accounts for the heavy play, I'd guess.

As a fanboy of Arsenal, Atletico Madrid and Chivas USA, it's clear to me I was born to not be a fanboy of Beckham...hope he sucks in LA...

Draft saved Draft deleted