1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uh-oh — Iran kidnaps 15 sailors in Iraqi waters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Or because they're lying.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

From what I've read, his favor with the religious hardliners is starting to fade a bit and is much more delicate than you hear about.

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If Thatcher was still PM, there would be a lot more action going on. Of course, one wrong move could lead to WWIII, so some care is necessary...

4. Flying Headbutt

I give Blair some credit. If I were in charge and they pulled that shit, Iran would have no navy anymore, and probably not an air force or airport that works.

And if it kept up, Tehran would be a smoldering mess of charred sand, crumbling concrete, and whatever else oil wells burned.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this story is not bigger. The capturing of these sailors is an act of war and Iran should be given 24 hours to turn them over before the UK goes to the UN and demands permission to attack, IMO.

At some point you just have to punch the bully in the nose.

6. Flying Headbutt

Because a handful of little Fidos and Mr. Jitters keeled over, and well, you know the rest.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6508909.stm

The UN Security Council has agreed a statement voicing "grave concern" at Iran's capture of 15 British sailors.
    The statement is a watered-down version as the UK wanted it to "deplore" Iran's detention of the Britons and call for their immediate release

Whoop-de-do.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If they'd been American sailors, it would lead every newscast and no doubt there would be a more vigorous response from our powers that be.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The England I knew and loved is dead. Has been for a long time. If Churchill was running the show, the skies of Iran would have been filled with Tornadoes, Eurofighters and Harriers laying waste to every military target imaginable if those sailors were not released immediately.

Instead, we get Blair asking nicely, pretty-please, with sugar and a cherry on top to return those tars. Why are they so scared? And why did those chaps allow themselves to be taken prisoner? As a former Coastie, we would've resisted...strongly. From what I can gather, the Iranians were those Revolutionary Guard thugs riding around in speedboats that could have been easily repelled with some automatic weapons fire or better yet, a few 4.5-inch shells from HMS Cornwall. If England had this mindset during WWII, the Germans would have taken over, got the bomb first and we would have been up a creek with a you-know-what for a paddle. But I digress.

This Iranian leader is a kook of the highest order. He's a believer that he can start the apocalypse and unleash the 12th or 13th or maybe even the 14th Iman, who is supposedly the Shiite's version of the Second Coming. He is a anti-semite who believes Israel should be wiped off the map (his words). He even hosted a conference on the denial of the Holocaust, with everyone's favorite racist pig David "KKK" Duke as the guest of honor. He's not a rational actor and needs to be the victim of a well-aimed precision-guided munitition pronto.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Nuke 'em off the face of the earth, then travel to Korea.

Be home in time for spring break.

11. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

If they were American sailors it may never have gotten to this point ...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2393337.ece

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Iranians are lying through their teeth. In one of their initial contacts with UK regarding the location of the capture the Brits pointed out that the coordinates Iran provided were inside Iraqi waters.

Ooops.

Draft saved Draft deleted