1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uh, interesting, yeah that's the word, Bears fan photo from Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Del_B_Vista, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Never been to Bourbon Street?
    There's lots of locals hanging around, amid the tourists.
    Those ribald folks'd make this twit their bitch in a hurry.
    Promise.
    He'd be their little pig-slave. They'd make him pull an all-nighter.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Did you not meet the zillion Eagles fans who were in Vegas that weekend, too? Because they trumped the Bears fans easily.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

This pisses me the fuck off. Show some fucking class. I've always hated the Bears and this makes it 10 times worse. I hope the Colts kick the ever living fuck out of them and chubby sign-holder boy gets punched in the chops by Jermaine O'Neal like that chubby Pistons fan. Fucking classless man, fucking classless.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That was what I went in expecting -- obnoxious Eagles pukes -- so maybe I was just a magnet for Bears, but the Eagles fans I dealt with were cool. Then again, they lost about eight hours after I arrived while the Bears didn't play until Sunday morning and won and spent the rest of the weekend gloating.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

George Halas would pound that fool into the dirt. :mad:

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Just because... ;D

[​IMG]

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Mike Ditka's gonna be pissed.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

John Kass in the Trib had a related story:

Published January 24, 2007

With history being made--the Bears' Lovie Smith and Colts' Tony Dungy becoming the first African-American head coaches to lead their teams into the Super Bowl--it's tempting for Americans to congratulate ourselves on how far we've come.

But all it took was one stupid Chicago Bears fan with the N-word blurting from his lips to remind New Orleans TV reporter Glynn Boyd, and the rest of us, how far we've got to go.

Boyd is a reporter from WGNO-TV, a Tribune Co. station in New Orleans. He was working Sunday's NFC championship game between the Bears and the Saints, and a mutual friend heard what happened and put us in touch. Like Smith and Dungy and many professional athletes idolized by fans, even some racist white fans, Boyd has black skin. Let him tell it:

"There were only a few minutes left in Sunday's game, and some Saints fan told me that a Chicago fan asked them about their home in New Orleans during the flood, and she said it had 10 feet of water, and the Bears fans started screaming, saying, `I wish you'd drowned in it!' And, `We'll finish what Hurricane Katrina started!' That kind of stuff.

"So I set up to do an interview with the Saints fan," Boyd said. "That's when the two Bears fans came up, including the one who yelled at her. There was a big guy, about 6 foot 7, and there was his buddy, a little guy, who was doing all the talking."

It's always the little guy, right?

"Yeah," Boyd said. "So as we're setting up to do the interview, the shorter Bears fan comes up, screaming, `Katrina! Katrina!' He must've been drunk. I turned and said, `Hey, I'm trying to work here.' And that's when he pushes me and says it. He says the N-word. He dropped it right on me.

"He pushes me and I push back, there wasn't any tape, but the guys in the [TV control] booth could see it. You could say there was some pushing going on. He kept saying it, ugly, loud, the N-word. Yelling it."

Boyd is not a little guy. He's 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighs more than 200 pounds and played guard on his college basketball team. So I mentioned that I hoped somebody landed a left hook on that fan's jaw, or nose. Not on the mouth, though, because you figure the teeth would be infested, like some Chicago Komodo dragon. As someone who would faint if I couldn't run, I don't advocate violence. But them's fighting words, as a judge might say.

"There wasn't any tape, but I think somebody might have thrown a left hook," Boyd said.

A good one, with some hip torque behind it?

"Perhaps. It might have been a guy from New Orleans that threw it, and if he did throw it, not that I'm saying he did, but if he did, it might have felt good to do so, after he'd been pushed and called that word over and over. If he did, of course, I'd have to assume he felt some satisfaction. I'm almost certain of it. But that's not the issue. The behavior of that fan is the issue."

The two Bears fans ran off, with the big guy appearing somewhat shocked and appalled at the vulgarity of his smaller companion, Boyd told me Tuesday. No arrests were made and no charges were filed. Only a stain was left. And all I've got is Boyd's account, but I believe him. He continued working and filed his story without addressing the slur, and later he called me.

"What bothers me about Chicago--is that how you celebrate a victory, by calling someone the N-word? By celebrating the devastation caused by Katrina?"

No, of course not. And one fan doesn't speak for us. Chicago is a great city. You can find fools everywhere, of every pigment, even in Louisiana, when you mix alcohol and stupidity. But that it happened in Chicago is embarrassing and sad.

Bears fans were becoming nauseated by the national media hype that didn't have anything to do with football, the hype suggesting that because of the hurricane's devastation, a Saints victory was called for. I wrote about that on Sunday, that Chicago isn't New Orleans' sponge, and received hundreds of critical letters from Saints fans, including a few ugly ones on the level of Boyd's Bears fan. But it wasn't the people of New Orleans whom Bears fans were fed up with. We're sorry about the flood. It was the national story line that peeved us.

Still, that doesn't excuse some of the stupid Katrina-based signs at Soldier Field on Sunday, and certainly not that one fan's ugly mouth.

"What gets me is that fan, the N-word guy," Boyd said. "If he runs into Lovie Smith or an African-American player on the Bears, he'd probably ask for an autograph and tell the guy how much he loves him. And he might believe it himself. But then he's got that word on the tip of his lips too," Boyd said.

You can see it, can't you? The white guy with the big smile asking an African-American sports star to autograph his jersey. The ink isn't even dry and the N-word hangs just behind his teeth. I wonder if players and coaches can feel these seething conflicts, if they care, if they turn it off.

Chicago fans may feel relieved. But Boyd warned that New Orleans isn't finished with Chicago.

"There's another New Orleanian that Bears fans should worry about," Boyd said. "His name is Peyton Manning."

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Put him on beet-picking detail with Brownie, Cheney and the unelected president when they are called to justice at the George W. Bush Penal Colony in Nowhere, Nowhere, when this Great American Misadventure is over and done with.

What a soulless piece of manure.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The handful of Bears fans I've met in various places have been pretty good folks.

This clown obviously isn't. Let's drop him in the French Quarter and see what some of the New Orleans types might do to him for that little stroke of genius.

11. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

I saw way too many derogatory Katrina marks this weekend in Central Illinois. I walked into one bar and there was a guy wearing a t-shirt that said "Katrina is a whore." Not funny.
    My "Ann Arbor is a whore" t-shirt? That's funny. But to trivialize a national tragedy where 1,000s lost their lives is not.
    These are the same assholes who would get royally pissed off if they saw someone wearing an "I (plane) NY" t-shirt, just as we all would. But because a hurricane is just weather, it's okay to make fun of.
    And people wonder why I think I'm better than them.

12. Didn't New Orleans residents wear the Katrina is a whore shirts during mardi gras last year? I thought I saw it painted on the parade floats.

Draft saved Draft deleted