1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ugh - WSJ reporting Steelers being secretly shopped.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can't say I blame him. Unless they have any other better options, he's the one holding the cards. The pressure rests with the Rooneys to square away their ownership issues after two years of talks.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with you and 93Devil, though there is a part of me that cringes at the idea of rooting for anybody in a struggle with Dan Rooney for ownership of the Steelers, even if he is a Pittsburgh guy who says he wants the Rooneys to continue running the show after the sale.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/11/15/steelers.sale.ap/index.html

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney's four brothers have agreed to sell a controlling stake of the team to him and his son, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported.

Patrick and Art Rooney Jr. confirmed the deal in a story posted on the paper's Web site Friday night. They and their other two brothers -- Timothy and John -- could get a total of $750 million after debt is taken out, according to the report.

Art Rooney Jr. said the brothers hope to get the deal wrapped up before a board meeting in December. Both sides want to get a deal done by then because they are worried about possible higher taxes once the Obama administration is in office.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Three cheers for the Rooneys. Hip Hip Hooray! As long as the league has people like Rooney in it, it is in good hands.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Is it me, or does anyone else find it completely hypocritical that they wanted to get the deal done this year because they were worried about the tax implications under the new administration?

Especially considering Rooney was so vocal & public in his endorsement of Barack Obama.....

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't see a thing wrong in trying to minimize the tax bite, if they can get their price, this year.

That's not tax evasion . . . that's legitimate tax avoidance.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm just thankful a short computer kid who really like cigars didn't buy the team.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dan Rooney, the buyer, was very vocal about supporting Obama. His brothers, the ones selling, did not campaign for Obama (that I know of).

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Do the other Rooney brothers even have a public profile? Before this story, I had no idea there were other brothers with equal shares. I just thought Dan Rooney owned the franchise.

Perhaps the other brothers are well known in Pittsburgh? Aside from the one (Art, Jr. I think?) who used to be their scouting director, I can't remember ever hearing anything about the others.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, but Dan Rooney keeps a very low profile in the town.

Remember, this man is the priest of the high church of Pittsburgh. You actually hear more from him on the NFL legue-wide issues because he is such a senior owner.

Draft saved Draft deleted