1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ugh - WSJ reporting Steelers being secretly shopped.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's right, I forgot that Pittsburgh's the only city in the world where people in bars buy drinks for each other. ::)

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The worst thing, from a somewhat-biased perspective, is the strife within the Rooney family and the fact some Art's grandchildren are more interested in a big payday than keeping the team in the family.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup.

When Roger Goodell spoke at Chautauqua two weeks ago, he mentioned the 80 percent of revenue the league shares equally. Made sure he repeated it several times that morning, in fact.

However, he never said a word about the increasing disparity in unshared revenue, and what all those PSLs and skybox-rental fees are doing to the cap. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if, within the next ten years, a couple of the small-market teams are forced into the red merely to hit the salary floor.

And if the cap ever goes away? I'd give my Bills three years, tops.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was pointing out that in football, a player will sign fewer contracts because the window of their productivity is so much smaller.

A baseball player could have 10-12 years of prime production, and the same is true with basketball.

In football, they only have 1-2 contracts past their rookie deal.

5. 93Devil

Just like I forgot that a billionaire might have enough money to buy his own drinks. :)

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. Sorry Bubbler. That really wasn't meant as a shot at baseball, but it sure could be taken as one given my posting history.

You are correct. This would be uncharted territory. Some franchises might be hurting a bit without a cap, but the differences between the haves and have-nots in terms if finances would not be as great as they are in baseball because more of the financial pie is split evenly through revenue sharing.

Also, as 93Devil pointed out, NFL careers are much shorter so there aren't quite as many opportunities for big paydays. That would help even things out as well.

I understand your argument, but I really can't see the Rooneys running and hiding this early in the game.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doubtful. They have multiple issues coming to roost at once -- the gambling thing, the fact that the Rooney brothers are all around 70 or older, which means estate taxes become an issue, the idea that some family members would love to cash out because they don't share in the "fun" of running the franchise anyway.

My impression from the stories is that Dan Rooney is doing his damndest to stay in.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

One reason for this problem is that the NFL stipulates one person needs to own a 30 percent stake of every team. As of now, 80 pct of the team is split evenly between the five Rooney brothers, and each stake is worth about $130 million. Dan Rooney can't afford to buy even one stake without some serious financing, which the NFL generally prohibits.

Pittsburgh lifer Bob Smizik breaks it "dahn."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08191/895738-194.stm

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not a Steelers fan, but respect them and the organization. And my best friend is a big Steelers fan (grew up in Western Pa.). Hopefully, this gets worked out and Dan Rooney and his son keep control. Any other scenario is not good.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

They gonna go to OKC?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08198/897235-13.stm

Update on Dan Rooney's attempts to keep the team under family control. Druckenmiller apparently wants to be majority owner or he is out completely. He said he will withdraw his offers to the Rooney brothers immediately if firm Dan Rooney has hired starts taking any public bids.

12. 93Devil

Well, if I understand hedge funds, it seems like Druckenmiller is doing this in a business like manner.

This ain't his first BBQ when it comes to taking over a large business.

I know he is protecting his money right now. If he buys a minority stake in the team and the remaining Rooneys pass away quickly, his money will be in chaos.

He is playing it smart by not letting the bidding go to outside sources (higher sale price in the end) and keeping control of the team, but allowing the Rooneys to run the team.

You just have to take his word for it when he says he will be a hands off owner.

And right now, he is probably the Steelers' best option.

Who is to say a team of Chinese businessmen wouldn't come up with a too-good-to-be-true deal if it did hit the open market?

I mean Man U. was bought by a Yankee. Nothing is impossible.

Draft saved Draft deleted