1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGH - if true - about the Daily Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know anything about the publication that ran this so I'm hoping someone comes on and tells us it is a bunch of blooey.
    I am not optimistic.
    UGH

http://jamesriverjournal.com/home/14-news/17575-daily-press-to-lay-off-half-its-remaining-staff.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy shit.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What the fuck is the James River Journal?

4. Sounds like the JRJ was right about the layoffs but wrong about the numbers, mostly because the Daily Press doesn't have 300 employees any longer.

And the Daily Press is chickenshit for not reporting on its own layoffs while reporting on other businesses that had layoffs. This is why readers don't trust us. We have a double standard when it comes to reporting on our own business interests.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Glad the number was wrong, for now. The "over the next few weeks" part worries me. But, then again, the credibility of this website also is a concern.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, the printing IS being outsourced

http://www.dailypress.com/news/breaking/dp-nws-printing-0502-20120501,0,3004240.story

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I saw that this morning. Considering Media General is trying to sell its newspaper division, seems like odd timing to take on more press work. But, hey, MG stock is up .02 this morning, so there's that.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As fast as circulation and page counts are declining I think that any printing operation within two hours drive of another plant is in imminent danger.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not end well.

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

OMG -- that's grounds to give Morton a $500,000 bonus! Of course, we're also going to have to lay off a few hundred more people ...

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Word is that to handle the Newport News job, MG is shifting some of the papers printed in Hanover to Lynchburg.

Draft saved Draft deleted