1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uggla's hit streak

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know how far he'll get, but I hope he makes it past 56.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

People don't want Uggla to break the hallowed record because he isn't a big enough name?
    Roger Maris says fuck that shit.
    Maybe if he does break it Bud will have it put in the record book 57*

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

All of that would be great except during the streak, Uggla's batted everywhere from fourth to seventh in the Braves lineup.

I get your point, but if Uggla's streak reaches the 50s he'll no longer be a .226 hitter. And I hate the arrogance of "we only want our records held by stars." BS. The aforementioned Maris and Johnny Vander Meer stand as exhibits that any MLB player is worthy.

I don't know how anyone could assert he's not a hot hitter right now.

On interesting note for those who don't follow the Braves every day: The streak was extended in Cincinnati on a ball that was originally ruled an error. The official ruling was changed to a hit the next day.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Before the season started, Uggla was considered, if not a star, then certainly a superior starting player. Then he fell off a cliff. He may just be returning to the norm in an historically unusual way.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Was just about to post something similar. All the whining in 1961 about a hick from North Dakota breaking Ruth's record was crap. And yet, as odd as it might be, it seems that even today 61 means more than 73.

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Some of the comments about Uggla have been really unfair IMO.

While he is not the type of player that you think of when it comes to long hitting streaks, he is certainly not a scrub. With his power Uggla's basically been a top 10 2B from the moment he broke into the big leagues. Some people have criticized him and the streak as if he's Miguel Cairo.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Uggla's a good player, but with an odd skill set for his position. His defense at second isn't that great, and as opposed to being a guy who bangs out singles, he's more into HRs and doubles. That's why I consider the hit streak kind of odd - when it comes to making contact, his season high in BA was .287 last year.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Weak grounder to end the seventh. I killed it.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Now that Uggla's streak is over, who are the most likely candidates to have a 30+ game hit streak?

Derek Jeter
    Michael Young
    Robinson Cano
    Pedroia
    Ichiro

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Of that list, I like Pedroia the best, since the rest are kind of aging. Is Cano much of a contact hitter? I'd give him the second best chance.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

That was just off the top of my head. Who would've thought Uggla could do what he did? Jeter has the ability to do it and I think he'd have no problem handling the pressure.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

While there are exceptions (most notably Uggla), in theory the skills that would seem conducive for a long hit streak in addition to being a good hitter are speed (be able to beat out infield hits), avoid strikeouts and walks (more balls in play) and hitting in the top half of the order.

In no particular order, the top 6 for me in terms of pulling off this type of hitting streak are Jose Reyes, Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia, Michael Young, Ryan Braun and Miguel Cabrera.

Jeter and Ichrio used to be at the top of these type of lists, but their days are well behind them at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted