1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uggla's hit streak

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Homered again today to make it 33 straight. There have been less than two dozen hit streaks of that length in the history of the game.

How far do you think he'll go?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd be No. 34.

Wait, what?

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'm going to say 50 games. It's already unlikely enough that he'd even get to 33, so why not? I really want to see how big a story this becomes if he gets over 40.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see, as the streak goes on, if they move him up in the order. Where does Uggla bat now, fourth?

If he's 0-fer late in a game, being a spot or two higher in the lineup might get him one more chance.

5. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Uggla has 48 hits over the course of his 33 game hit streak. In the preivous 86 games this season, he had 55 hits. Was hitting .173 before the streak started.

Wow.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought he would play a double header that day and get 34 and 35.

Great post, IJAG.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Another question: Do you want him to break the record?

I say no, the record has been Joe DiMaggio's for 70 years, I've always wanted to see it challenged but I'd rather see a great player do it (Tony Gwynn, Ichiro, Jeter, are examples). Especially not a .226 hitter.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sure, I'd like him to break it. The fact that he's a lousy hitter makes it more random and interesting to me. Why would I care about Tony Gwynn breaking a hitting record? Though it's really not a "hitting record" more than just a remarkable string of circumstance. Going 1-for-4 or 1-for-5 for two months straight shouldn't be news, yet is.

9. Dan Uggla getting to 57 games would be used as proof of Quantum Mechanics and Einstein's premise of "spooky action at a distance."

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If it ends tomorrow, then clearly I'm the jinx.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think the record loses some of its luster if it's broken by a mediocre hitter.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

He'll probably drop back to fifth once McCann comes off the DL.

Draft saved Draft deleted