1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGA professor is suspect in Athens shooting -- found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Apr 25, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

UGA professor suspected in deadly Athens shooting
    Three reported slain at theater; university alerts students

By MIKE MORRIS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Saturday, April 25, 2009

A manhunt is on in Athens for a University of Georgia professor accused of shooting and killing three people.
    Police are looking for George M. Zinkhan III, a professor in the Department of Marketing and Distribution.
    He is a 57-year-old white male, last seen wearing a polo shirt and blue shorts, according to the UGA web site. He may be traveling in a red car.
    The shooting happened late this morning at or near the Athens Community Theatre off Prince Avenue near downtown. Clarke County coroner Sonny Wilson confirmed the deaths, but did not know the ages or gender of the victims.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/04/25/uga_professor_shooting.html

I couldn't get the Banner-Herald's Web site to load. I know of a few current or former SJ regulars that are in Athens today for a wedding. All are accounted for.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: UGA professor is suspect in Athens shooting

Havent been able to look.. did they get him?

3. Re: UGA professor is suspect in Athens shooting

I blame REM.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another middle-aged white guy. Sheesh.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Still at large, last time I checked the AJC.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Id' be shocked if my parents didn't know this guy. I know a few people that live right near the theater. Michael Stipe lives a few blocks away, as well.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He apparently got into an argument with a couple of the people, then returned firing. One of the victims is his ex-wife. Another victim, Ben Teague, has a website; he was a big theater guy and looks like he was quite the character. And they were to perform a Sherlock Holmes show tonight.

http://www.benteague.com/

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Re: UGA professor/murderer still at large

I have been told that yesterday was a proud day for our profession. Two of the bridesmaids in an afternoon wedding — one worked for CNN, the other AP — rushed out before the service started and, in their dresses, attended a news briefing with the Athens police.

Sadly, the wedding photographer didn't follow them.

And apparently the police have no clue where this guy is.

My folks know some of the people involved in that theater, but not the professor or any of the victims. I know I've seen him a few times in person, or someone that looks a great deal like him, but I can't remember where. Maybe he ate at The Taco Stand a lot.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This is a tragic story and RIP for the victims, but holy fuck that is awesome.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Know some people who knew the victims. What a tragedy.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think it is. If I was the bride I'd be pissed.

It'd be one thing if they were first responders who were needed at a fire or some other catastrophe but AP and CNN could sure as fuck find somebody else to cover that story.

Given the loyalty shown by management in this day and age, that type of dedication will never be rewarded. It's not worth the effort.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I disagree completely AQB. That's not loyalty to management, it's loyalty to your readers/viewers. I admire those two women totally. And if the bride is friends with reporters, she knows the score going in-news comes first.

Draft saved Draft deleted