1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGA prez: Bowls are "screwy", let's have a playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Fans wouldn't have to book flights 5 days out. The schedule would be set in early December, so they could book 14-30 plus days out. Tickets they don't end up using could refundable or applied to future trips.

Playing off Dan's example, say I'm a Georgia fan: I might be looking at trips to New Orleans, Phoenix and Pasadena. Or if I'm a USC fan, I could be looking at 1 trip: play in Pasadena, then New Orleans and then back to Pasadena.

Does it require a decent bank roll and some free time to do this? Sure. But there are certainly a lot of college football fans who have both those characteristics.

And I expect only a small percentage of fans would travel all 3 weeks. You'd find some going one week, some looking at week 2, some only focusing on the title game.

The first round game is the biggest dice roll. Would folks want to travel to that or would they wait for the semis/finals? I believe there are enough rabid fans out there who would hit the first round site. Once you get to the next round, they won't have enough tickets to sell.

And as was alluded to above, the ticket revenue is really pocket change; the TV money potential is the big prize.

2. Michael Adams:

The man solely responsible for the destruction of the UGA Men's basketball program by forcing Vince Dooley to hire his friend Jim Harrick, and then later expressed shock and outrage that there was academic fraud in the program.

The man who angered the Bulldog nation because he forced Vince Dooley out as AD (supposedly for refusing to hand Athletic Association money over to him)

The man who travels the world, often with his wife, at taxpayer expense

The man who demanded his wife be given a $30K a year "stipend" to be a UGA Ambassador (I believe that was the number)

The man who demanded a house in Buckhead for official entertainment, but never used it. His son, attending Emory University did live in it though.

The man, who never hosted a graduation event for a school at his official residence, spends a reported $10K in university money for a graduation reception for the law school the year his son graduates from there.

The man who is the most depressed man I have ever seen walking around the UGA Press Box before a game and at halftime who is virtually ignored by everybody.

The man who suddenly realizes this year, after others have known for years, that the BCS system is flawed.

Michael Adams, bloody hypocrite!

If you want, you can always released the special report on his spending issued by Deloitte and Touche...

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Best idea yet.

Force them into a playoff.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Just give me a plus-one game and I would be much happier.

5. Simon_Cowbell

well done

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

for the last time, sportswriters have no say in the bcs

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm pretty some have a say in the AP, jackass. There's more than one national title.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Assuming everything you say is true (I don't have time to look it all up), that still doesn't mean he's wrong with the playoff. Motives aside, I agree with him.

9. HoopsMcCann

but there's only one system that's being debated, dumb fuck. the ap poll has no place in the bcs. but i'm sure you're pretty.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

I'm less pretty after getting knocked in the head by a tree.
    Anyway, while people are debating the BCS, the AP national title isn't much better because it's fed by the BCS bowls (because that's what the voters see). So yes, it is affected too, even though those numbers are computed into the BCS formula.
    If the BCS didn't exist, we would be arguing how the AP title was distributed.

11. HoopsMcCann

but the bcs does exist and the ap title is less relevant than ever

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

It ain't quite the UPI, but I get your point.
    All I'm saying is put it on the field, not in some non-tangible system of votes or computers.

Draft saved Draft deleted