1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGA beat writer, Macon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley, Jun 17, 2010.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

To succeed in this job, all you have to do is follow the red panties.

2. I was not one of the finalists, but I did receive and e-mail from Daniel informing me as such. It's always tough to NEVER hear back from someone when you don't get consideration for a job, that i really appreciate classy people who let applicants know of their status.

3. We are down the finalists. I tried to at least email everyone, but if I missed someone, I apologize.
    Thanks to everyone who applied. We had a talented and deep pool of candidates to choose from, and that's always good. I plan to make a decision Sunday or Monday.

4. nate41

nate41 Member

+1

5. We finished up our process yesterday by hiring Seth Emerson.
    Seth is an excellent writer and reporter who has worked for The State since 2005, covering South Carolina athletics after a stint covering preps. He also worked for me in Albany (All-benny to some of you) from 2002-05.
    I'm thrilled to have him join our staff and to get a chance to work with him again. At the same time, I was excited to meet and talk to several other people through the process, and I appreciate the interest of the many who applied.

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Congratulations to Seth.

I agree with everyone else, that Daniel took a very classy approach to the hiring process.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to blow smoke and Daniel is one of the better people you will meet in this business, but he did it in a professional manner. Unfortunately, not many openings are conducted that way. It wasn't classy. Just professional.

8. Wow, what a nice hire here. Seth's one of the best.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Seth's a really good fit on the Georgia beat and with Macon. He did some high-quality beat work in Columbia. Hell, he survived two basketball seasons with Darrin Horn. He deserves a Purple Heart for that alone.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Horn a pain in the ass?

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

He's not mean-spirited ... but he doesn't make the job easy.

12. babb

babb New Member

As stated above, this is a really nice move for Seth and The Telegraph. Macon gets a talented and eager writer, and Seth gets to be part of what sounds like a good situation alongside an editor I've heard many good things about.

And, of course, he gets to live in Athens, so there's that.

Draft saved Draft deleted