1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGA beat writer, Macon

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley, Jun 17, 2010.

1. The sports department at The Telegraph, a mid-sized newspaper based in Macon, Ga., is searching for an enterprising, energetic and self-motivated reporter to cover its University of Georgia athletics beat.

Candidates should be versatile and be able handle a heavy work load in print and online, including a popular blog on Georgia’s athletics teams. The UGA reporter covers the beat for the Telegraph and its sister paper, the Ledger-Enquirer based in Columbus, Ga. Candidates need to be well-organized, driven and able to produce daily coverage along with long-term enterprise stories. They also should have a proven record of developing sources, breaking news and meeting deadlines.

Previous sports writing experience is required and previous experience covering college sports is a plus. A college degree is preferred.

Send resume, clips and references to sports editor Daniel Shirley at dshirley@macon.com or The Telegraph, 120 Broadway, Macon, Ga.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So what happened with David Hale?

3. He accepted a job covering the Phillies for the Wilmington, Delaware, paper. David did a TERRIFIC job and will be missed.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Agreed. Twas only a matter of time.

5. RDennis

RDennis New Member

This would be a great job. I have sent my stuff!

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

good opening, this one.

7. GVLakerGuy

GVLakerGuy Member

This may be a dumb question, but hey, sometimes reporters have to ask dumb questions.

It's 90 miles between Athens and Macon. Is this guy required to be in Macon and commute to Athens 2-3 times a week for games/practices/breaking news, or is he/she based in Athens?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

OK! We hear you. It seems this job is higher on the totem pole than the other two openings in Georgia recently posted.

9. Floyd

Floyd Member

Hey folks,

I'm the guy bolting the beat, so if you have questions, I'll be happy to tell you anything you want to know.

I can also promise you -- Daniel will be the best editor you'll ever work for. Great guy, will support you in anything you want to do but always gives you the latitude to make this beat your own.

Add to that the fact that Athens is a great place to live, UGA a professionally run organization to cover, and a readership that is always hungry for more info on their team and it really is an ideal situation for almost anyone. Leaving here is without a doubt the toughest decision I've had to make in my career.

(And to answer the previous question -- the reporter lives in Athens. I've only had to be in Macon maybe a dozen times during the past two years.)

Good luck to anyone applying, and like I said, feel free to PM me with any questions.

-David Hale

10. I think David answered the question, but in case you missed it, yes, the writer lives in Athens. This job is all about the UGA beat. It's very rare for this writer to do anything other than UGA, unless we have a prep game up that way or something like that.
    There's not much time in the day (or night) for anything other than UGA.

11. JFT

JFT Member

Shirley is top shelf, despite being a Clemson grad (sorry, dude. To refresh, Dawgs don't do orange).

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very interesting. Can't recall what the circ is there.

My paper is 100 miles between two state universities (one in either direction), but no way in Hades would management ever consider having a full-time guy on either campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted