1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

uga beat at ajc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, May 30, 2008.

1. scribbler

scribbler Member

Look, this doesn't matter. It's a side-issue. But I can say with full certainty you're off by a year. He moved to the AJC just before the 2005 football season (August).

(No, I'm not Carter)

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'm not Carter either. But, according to a friend of mine who works at the AJC and just did a byline search for him in their system, Carter's first AJC byline came on July 23, 2006, as I suspected. It was a feature about Martrez Milner, for the record. A byline search for Carter's name gets 1,526 hits, so I'm guessing that's where the 1,500 number comes from.

If he showed up at the AJC just before football season in 2005, he evidently didn't write anything in the subsequent year, or their search function is off and the number should be significantly higher than 1,500.

And I agree, it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Just sayin'.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Carter was definitely at the AJC covering Georgia in February, 2006. Tony Ball moved from Virginia Tech on Feb. 14, 2006. He worked that story for the AJC at the same time I was working it for the Richmond paper. How long he was there before that, I do not know. But he was definitely there before July, 2006.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Interesting. I'll buy that, then. My recollection was summer of 2006, and that seemed to mesh with what my friend told me. But if you say you remember specifically that he was there that early, I'll stand corrected.

Sorry about that, scribbler. If I came off as snippy, I didn't mean to.

5. Moderator1

Well, thanks. But we also haven't proven he was there for the 2005 season!

6. John

John Well-Known Member

7. Moderator1

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In all likelihood, the paper's archived material can only be called up in defaulted portions, probably going back three or four years at a time, or less, depending on how their system is set up).

If checking back farther than the most recent years for something in the system, one might have to specifically change an automatic default in order to find it. Perhaps your contact at the AJC didn't do that.

This is just a suggestion of something to check on.

9. Moderator1

Or not, because we have the link John provided that shows him writing in 2005.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Can't speak for Strickland's work, but I can definitely corroborate the praise for Craig Custance. I've dealt with Craig quite a bit in the past season and a half as part of my side gig working for the Thrashers, and he was great fun to work with in addition to doing an amazing job with the JC's Thrashers coverage, no small feat in a football-obsessed market. I'm happy for him, because this is a major move, but professionally speaking, he'll be missed.

11. scribbler

scribbler Member

Absolutely not a big deal ... really, the whole thing is a sidetrack from the main purpose of the thread. My fault as much as anyone's. Sorry.

As I said before: Carter is a very good reporter and a great guy. I'm very glad for him, but the business will miss him.

12. BuckeyeGA

BuckeyeGA New Member

Despite the upheaval, SE Ronnie Ramos says they won't be hiring outside for these positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted