1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

uga beat at ajc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, May 30, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Given the importance of the beat, which is probably among the five most important in the whole newsroom, I can't imagine they'd confine themselves to people in-house.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

From a friend of mine, who works in the Atlanta area, and didn't want to post this her/him/self:

"The paper is likely to move someone from within to the Tech beat, but UGA is the flagship beat of the department. I'll be really surprised if another national search is not done."

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I second that emotion.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I got to thinking ... who can they move around from within. So much of their prep stuff is done by part-timers in the bureaus.
    They gonna bring Hollis back to split Tech with Winkeljohn?
    Too bad they ain't gonna go outside the walls of 72 Marietta St. They still got my resume, including my stint as a letterman at New Hampshire back in the 60s. No, wait, that's O'Leary. Sorry.

5. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I love Carter and Josh. I worked that beat with those guys for the last two years and have a genuine like and respect for both of them.

6. Hurricane J

Hurricane J New Member

Josh has basically no Web presence. The AJC's focus is on the Web. That part doesn't seem to make sense.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No disrespect to Carter, who did a great job, but unless they're counting blog entries as "stories" there is no way in holy hell he wrote 1,500 stories in two years.

8. scribbler

scribbler Member

They might be counting blogs, although Carter wasn't a prolific blogger.

More likely: He actually started at the AJC a month or so before the start of the 2005 football season, so perhaps Ramos wrote two years when he should have written three.

1,500 in three years (almost three years) is still a lot, but when you're talking about a flagship beat ... beat guys write a whole lot, especially in season.

One other possibility: Sometimes those searches come up with multiples from the same story. (Early edition, final edition). It's possible a few are doubles. And if Ramos used Nexis rather than an internal archive, some of Carter's articles that were published in other papers would also have been counted. ... Whatever.

Regardless, knowing Carter and his work, he is a prolific writer. So whatever the real numbers were, they'd be impressive.

And I'd like to add my congratulations to him on the move. A very good reporter. A great person.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1,500 in three I would definitely believe, even though that is still a ton of work...

10. John

John Well-Known Member

This has been an especially busy year for Carter. In addition to the usual extensive football coverage, as well as women's basketball, he also did most, if not all the coverage of gymnastics and baseball.

As for the BLOGS!, Chip seems to take care of most of those.

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I can say with some level of certainty that Carter started at the AJC in July 2006, so it's actually a little less than two years, not more. Can't explain how he got 1,500 bylines in that amount of time, but the number is probably pretty legit. He was an absolute workhorse. Some of them are surely shared bylines, and there probably were some duplicates in there. But I doubt the number is too far off.

Congrats to Carter and Craig. Both have done excellent work for a paper I'd like to write for some day. All the best to both of them in the future.

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

doubt it, unless he gets a substantial raise (and we all know how likely that would be).
    hollis left sports for a reason so it would really surprise me to see him working downtown again.

Draft saved Draft deleted