1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UGA AD arrested for DUI

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Foley has two BCS and two men's basketball national championships. That doesn't hurt. Evans? Zero. It isn't as simply black and white as you're suggesting. The list of differences between the two men goes way beyond race. But if Foley makes "Don't drink and drive" PSAs for home games and is caught DUI and with the panties of a woman who is not his wife, and then tries to talk his way out of it, then cries uncontrollably, he's gone too.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, because except for being black Damon Evans is just like Jeremy Foley. ::) Don't take the race bait here, folks. Acknowledge that race may be one of several factors in this whole thing and move on.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Damon sends out apology statement:

“I would like to once again offer my sincerest apology to the University of Georgia people — the president and administration, athletic staff and coaches, fans and supporters, and especially the student-athletes. It had been my hope since taking the job in 2004 that I would have a long career at UGA.

“But because of a serious mistake in judgment, that won’t be the case, and I understand that I have a long road to rebuilding my reputation and career.

“I do want to thank all those who have supported me and the Athletic Association over the past six years and would encourage all those in our Association to remember that they are there for the student-athletes. Keep them first and foremost in everything you do. God bless and ‘Go Dawgs.’”

Damon Evans

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

He could have had Precious from Magic City or Onyx in the car with him and the overarching crime to Georgia's name is an AD who makes PSAs about drinking and driving getting pulled over for DUI.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Been thinking about what was the tipping point here. I think he might have survived strictly a DUI. Say he had been in the car with a male UGA booster, maybe he gets a little more leeway.

The panties are the smoking gun to me. Makes it so much more salacious at that point. A DUI with a woman not his wife--that's probably difficult to wiggle out of. Red panties in his lap----as AQB said, ballgame. The crying uncontrollably doesn't help the cause either.

And why did he not give the panties back to the girl and say put these in your purse before the cop ever came up to the car. You're not that hammered on 3 martinis to not be able to think that one through.

I could be totally off base here--I understand the points eagle is making. Just maybe there's a chance if there's not all the excess baggage in the police report.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Say what you will, but race is still a factor, especially in the deep south. Just the way the world is right now.

As for Claude Felton, always admired him since I met him 20 years ago as a young guy right out of college exploring the possibilities of getting into the SID business. Didn't get the internship at UGA, but he was extremely polite, encouraging and gave me some pointers. Good man.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Who said otherwise?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Oh, and before I forget...

HALF!!!

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If Mike Garrett were fired by USC, given all the things that have happened on his watch, would that still be considered, in part, a racially motivated firing?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

And I still can't figure out how the fuck that guy still has a job.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Three martinis is what Damon told the trooper he had, which means it was probably double that. He's a big enough guy that three over a few hours wouldn't leave him shitfaced.

12. standman

standman Member

As much as I hate to admit it, the race thing is what knocked Evans off his perch. He may have been able to survive the DUI, but having a pair of panties between his legs that happens to belong to a white woman who isn't is wife is an ender. It could have been worse. Evans could have been caught wearing the panties. Georgia is as bible belt as it gets. And let's not forget that Mike Price (yes different position but you can argue a SEC coach is more powerful than the AD) got fired after a binge with a stripper.

Draft saved Draft deleted