1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFL makes itself an easy target for those on the PR side.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Oct 10, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's not unlike Class AAA baseball -- dotted with players you've heard of who once played in the bigs, and a handful of players who will get there again.

I'll be curious to see how many UFL players sign with NFL teams after the season.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since the season ends at Thanksgiving, I think, you might see some pop up on NFL practice squads before the season is out.

3. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

At least Triple A baseball has a direct pipeline to the sport's highest level, along with the advantage of being associated with a product as successful as Minor League Baseball is.

Maybe there'd be more interest if this were a D-League-type product, or NFL Europe.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the NFL expands to 17 or 18 games, it will need a league for fresh bodies. Figure every NFL team loses (at least) two people for an extended time each year - that's 64 jobs.

5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I went to the game in Las Vegas Wednesday

Quality of play was pretty good, but it's the perception problem -- You can only look so good when the crowd's 12,000 and the uniforms look like they're Any Given Sunday rejects.

PR media still has a ways to go. I was updating the paper's web site with three new graphs after each qtr. and was way ahead of the league sites.

And here's what got me. I'm in Las Vegas filing for Orlando. Three hours time difference. PR guys go, we're having a press conference after the game and you can get interviews then. "No, if it's 22-0 and the starters are on the bench, I'm doing my own frakking press conference during the fourth quarter."

It was kinda cool to chat with Doug Flutie,also.

6. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

I personally would rather watch the Canadian Football League. I don't search it out, but the rules make it kind of quirky and I find myself enjoying it when it pops up on cable once in awhile. You see players you remember from college. And, I have to admit that the CFL title game last year between Montreal and Calgary was very entertaining.

I would rather watch that instead of this new league. . .But again, that's just me.

Draft saved Draft deleted