1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFL makes itself an easy target for those on the PR side.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Oct 10, 2009.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Allow me to vent:

How the frak can a professional football league NOT have a game recap on its web site. I can find all sorts of video but whatever happened to a concise 250-400 gamer with a stat summary.

And why does the person in charge of this have a job and people who actually have a clue how to do it right don't.

Okay. I feel better.

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Don't worry. The league won't be around that much longer.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

People actually worry about this league?

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Listen, if it creates job opportunities, I'm all for it. I just want to see it done right.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

It hasn't been done right from the start...4 teams is a league...c'mon. You would think the likes of Mark Cuban would understand that, but I guess not. Will it even last the season?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I glanced a the league website the other day just to see who was playing for these teams - a task that was made more time consuming due to the fact that, apparently, their PR guys have never heard of a numerical roster.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The league has posted the game books for both of its games last week. It made me so happy to see those on its Web site, so I am spared from having to find the e-mail address for a particular team's public relations director and e-mail her to ask for the statistics of a player who went to the only high school we cover so I could write a one-paragraph note on how he did.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It seems to be that those who like the UFL also like indoor football – below Arena Football level – and other trash sports. Not a viable league and certainly won't generate fan interests. $20 a ticket is still too much for just above beer league football.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They've played three games and none has had an announced -- announced -- attendance of even 15,000. Newspaper reports have had the actual crowd at less than 10k at all three games. The league won't continue with that kind of apathy from the start. Forget about expansion ...

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

To be fair, it doesn't help that it's a start-up league doing its first business in the worst recession in 70 years.

Not sure if that would have given it a chance six years ago, even, but it certainly doesn't help.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I am not disagreeing what anyone says, but the whining that I have heard about this league is nauseating (not only hear). Yes, I am in a market that will get one of these teams eventually and all I hear is people pissed off that they have more work to do. Professionalism please.

It's not your money. Cover the news and the team and let the people lose their money.

Skepticism is important. Cynicism has no place in news reporting. That is in of itself a bias.

Ok. Sorry to lecture, and yes, the league does suck, but is that really our call how someone spends their money?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I watched a bit last night, and sure, there is a lot to mock - but most of the players have NFL experience, the League thought enough of them to pay them to play football at some point. It wasn't a total circus.

Draft saved Draft deleted