1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC's Time?: UFC on ESPN + A defense of the UFC and MMA in general

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, May 25, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Ding, ding, ding. I was going to type the exact same thing. If anything, MMA benefits from having one voice, one organization and all that. As you said that's what the NFL, NBA, MLB all have. It doesn't hurt that White gets "it." The guy isn't some slimy boxing promoter and he understands how to produce a product that appeals to his fan base.

2. Go back to the NASCAR threads, jackass. You used to constantly come on to these UFC threads and rip MMA, and now that it's getting popular you're going to deign to tell us Liddell lost his credibility? Really? The fans know that you can get caught by a KO punch or kick at any point, whether it is 10 seconds in or late in the fifth round. The end result of this is that a new star was created in front of all those new fans and Liddell-Jackson 3 will be twice as big as last night's fight.

3. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Nah, man, let him say what he wants on here. It's a free message board. We'll just keep droppin knowledge on him. When people stop in to rip on something they have little to no knowledge of, it only makes them look bad.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not sure why there should even be a Liddell-Jackson 3. There wouldn't be any drama considering Jackson has already demolished Liddell twice. What would he even have to gain by fighting Liddell again (other than money)?

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah really, first time it was nine minutes, now it was two minutes. Next time Liddell will tap out on Thursday. He's 37 by the way and I don't think he's the freak of nature that Randy Couture is.

6. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I cannot believe they are putting the Briggs fight on PPV. Totally absurd. It could be a good fight, but I'd never pay a dime for it. Briggs' opponent, Sultan Ibragimov, is a very talented fighter if slightly on the small size by today's massive standards.

The bout was originally scheduled for Showtime. That would be a much better place to show it, IMO. I don't know who wants to spend money on this fight.

I understand what Double J and 2MuchCoffee are saying. I think that there will be casual fans who listened and saw all of the recent Chuck promos who will be like: "That's it? I thought that guy was the best?" Of course, MMA fans know better, but I think there will be some who don't know better who will label Chuck as a 'pretender.'

I also agree that right now there's a long way to go before we could see a Chuck-Quinton 3. Right now, Rampage owns Chuck, and Chuck hadn't made any tangible adjustments to be able to have a more competitive fight with the new light heavyweight champion. Unless Chuck can alter his style, he is not going to beat Chuck, IMO.

7. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Yeah, I had said before the fight, Chuck always fights with his hands too low, but he hasn't fought anyone in a while who could take advantage of it. Jackson could and did. I think having Jackson as champ will help UFC in the long run. He's got a much more outgoing personality than Chuck and, he likely will appeal to a demographic that MMA hasn't really tapped into yet: young, african-american males.

8. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I agree. Jackson is fun, brash and endearing. I don't know how long he'll be champ, but he'll have fun and the company will have an eager promoter for the sport.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can we expect a new YouTube video on the subject? :) :D ;D

10. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Of course you can. The Villarreals always meet the audience's demand. :)

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You might want to tell your brother to check his YouTube account.

12. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Yo, John...check your YouTube account!

Draft saved Draft deleted