1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC's Time?: UFC on ESPN + A defense of the UFC and MMA in general

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, May 25, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25.07

If he just posed the questions, it might not have caught my attention. But it's very clear from his incredibly long posts that Rok thinks he's the friggin emcee. It's obnoxious, and it's been going on for a long time. The way he presented it is right up there with putting "discuss" at the end of a thread-opening post. As if we need to be told how to use a message board.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25.07

I don't know what makes me shake my head more. Posters that irritate some other posters, or the reaction from the people who are most irritated.

You know there is a feature on the board now that would help in this situation.

I somehow missed the story of the second screen name. What's up with that?

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

So Rok is wordy, big deal. He still writes like a short-hand secretary compared to his brother. Your response just seemed a bit over the top to me, that's all. There are plenty of things to criticize on this board, but to get worked up over the manner in which someone attempts to create debate just seems silly.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this has been covered before in the 12-page thread about UFC...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/924063/

5. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I had trouble with my original account for a few days, so I decided to create a backup account. Just been too lazy to switch back. We all need an alter ego, right? :)

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25

Do I care? No. You can't miss the promos, but here's the thing. IT'S DIRTY FIGHTING. You hit or kick somebody when they are down. There are all different rules. I think boxing is pretty much a criminal business. Does anybody think there dirty fighters could last more than a couple of rounds with a top 50 boxer?

I can hear the... oh, this is popular and gets a lot of PPV buys. Well, Girls Gone Wild and some other stuff is popular. So what.

As for ESPN, I was feeling sick yesterday and stayed home to read and watch TV. What was on ESPN? at 7:30, it was the NFL Live show - in freaking May. That was followed by the US Poker championship. This is on prime time.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Boo-yah!!"

8. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying when you mention the " ... There are all different rules. ..." I'm taking that to mean that each mixed martial arts organization has different rules, which isn't entirely true. In the last several years, the sport of MMA has pushed extensively for state sanctioning. The New Jersey State Athletic Commission came up with a unified set of rules, which has been adopted by a number of states. Nevada, California, Ohio, Texas, Florida and, most recently, Illinois, are the latest states to sanction MMA. The more states that adopt the "unified rules" put out by New Jersey's commission, the better it will be for the sport.
    Again, if I misinterpreted what you meant, I apologize. The last thing I'm trying to do is get into another war of words like Mert and I got into on another MMA thread.

The one thing I do disagree with you about is calling MMA "dirty fighting." Just because you can't do it in boxing doesn't make it dirty. The unified rules do not allow punches to the groin, eye gouging, fish hooking and kicking or kneeing a downed opponent in the head. Sure, there's kicking ... and there's punching when an opponent falls to the mat. That's allowed because there are other ways to get an opponent TO the ground, other than punching. Most of the time, when a fighter is felled by a punch, the referee will dive on top of the fallen fighter to prevent any further harm and end the fight.

Actually, studies have shown the sport brings about less concussions than boxing (because there are fewer punches to the head; when a fighter is dropped from a punch, the fight is stopped more often than in boxing, where they allow 8 or 9 seconds to recover to take more shots to the head).

MMA isn't for everyone, but I don't understand why some people don't think it's a sport or don't think it deserves some coverage (though, I think ESPN is overdoing it this week). I'm not a fan of auto racing or horse racing because I think winning has just as much to do with the machine/animal you're guiding as the skill of the driver/jockey. But I'd never not call them a sport because it's about competition and there's a large fan base for both. I think MMA deserves at least that much attention.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25

"dirty fighting".....what the hell are you talking about? Have you ever seen or been in a fight? They almost always end up on the ground.

And As Gimpy mentioned, there are rules and the sport is sanctioned by many States.

"Does anybody think there dirty fighters could last more than a couple of rounds with a top 50 boxer?"

In a boxing match, the MMA guys that are stand up fighters would do ok....if the fight was MMA, the top 50 boxers would be lucky to last 3 minutes.

10. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Joe Roagn on, "Sports Centre"...

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/joe%2Brogan/video/x22vcz_joe-rogan-on-sportscenter

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The first rule of fight club is that ESPN, ESPN the Magazine, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, and ESPNU talks nonstop about fight club.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Visiting my son recently, some UFC matches were on one of his TV. Worst stuff I've ever seen. Looked like two guys trying to have sex with each other. I watched three matches and they were all the same. My son and his buds said it was simply awful. I couldn't argue based on what I saw.
    That the shit is popular speaks volumes about the collective brainpan of our nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted