1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC's Time?: UFC on ESPN + A defense of the UFC and MMA in general

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, May 25, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Note: For my spur-of-the-moment defense of the UFC and MMA, please see post #26.

Starting at 7:05 pm ET. You know they'll be hamming it up, big-time for the viewers.

http://sports.bostonherald.com/ufc/view.bg?articleid=1003091

Cover of this week's SI. Recent cover of ESPN the Mag. Now this. ESPN is all-in, it would seem. Is mixed martial arts (MMA) the next NASCAR (I only say that in terms of something many 'real' sports media personages openly mocked and disdained but which rose in popularity to the point which no sports media personality could afford to be entirely ignorant about.; I know NASCAR's fanbase far exceeds that of the UFC and MMA)?

Just thought this decision (plus their decision to carry interviews with the two fighters immediately following the fight [see following post]) by the ESPN brass deserved it's own thread. UFC and MMA's ascent is all over the big sports corporations, be it SI, ESPN or HBO (to bash it).

I personally can't wait for this fight (Saturday night). And if it's exciting, boxing will be even more afraid than it already is. The card is pretty solid top to bottom.

As far as the fight itself, I favor Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell though I will be rooting like crazy for Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Jackson is not in top form lately, and UFC president Dana White (who is going to ride his 37-year-old UFC poster-boy Liddell as long as he possibly can) knows this better than anyone. Liddell has defeated the other two men who once beat him. Quinton Jackson is the last name on Chuck's 'revenge' list.

Dana White would like nothing more than to sacrifice UFC newbie Jackson to Liddell to solidify Chuck's "invincible" image. He knows how much anticipation exists for this fight, and if he can have Jackson fight Liddell now before either Liddell gets any older or Jackson gets his form back, it's in his best interests and in the interests of the UFC in general. This fight should do very, very good PPV numbers.

Jackson is a great match up for Liddell, however, and he isn't going to lay down for anyone. Chuck punches very well; Jackson takes punches very well. Chuck will bully an opponent if he has the chance; Jackson is bigger, stronger and younger and can bully with the best of them. Jackson's 'signature move,' if you will is bodyslamming opponents. Very good style matchup.

If you have any interest in this fight or want to get up to speed on one of the most discussed fights in its history, here's Jackson-Liddell I:

One way or another, it should be a great fight. I don't think we'll be getting the dissatisfaction which followed the "Fight to Save Boxing," De La Hoya-Mayweather.

Some questions for discussion:

- Do you care?

- What do you think of ESPN's decision to air the live weigh-in? Decline of Western
    Civilization? Love it?

- Will you watch? Do you know people who will watch?

- Who are you rooting for? Who do you think will win?

- How long can boxing hold off MMA in terms of popularity and PPV numbers? Has
    the torch already been passed for good?

- There are genuine discussions to have legitimate MMA fighters fight boxers (and not
    just old boxers like Tyson). If these type of cross-promotion fights take place, who
    do you think would win? Would you watch?

Etc, etc, etc.

2. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Re: UFC's time: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Friday 5.2

Here's another little tidbit I just came across. ESPN News will also be carrying interviews with Jackson and Liddell immediately after their fight Saturday night:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7569

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25.07

The Liddell Entourage episode was big.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25.07

Steven Brunt from the Globe and Mail is there and he says he is going to have an open mind about UFC.
    I can't wait to hear what he has to say about it.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There was a thread on this in the journalism topics section.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41935/

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25

"Some Questions For Discussion"??? Who the fuck are you, a TA at the local university? That this place can handle yours and your brother's ego at the same time should be used as a point to garner donations.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

First question for discussion:

Do you care?
    Answer: NO.
    End of discussion.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

- Do you care?

No. I'm not a big boxing fan, either.

- What do you think of ESPN's decision to air the live weigh-in? Decline of Western
    Civilization? Love it?

Yankees don't play the Red Sox until next weekend so this fills in for now.

I won't, but yes, I have friends who will attend the UFC PPV and others who'll watch it.

Boxing will always have a place, but just not as much as MMA does right now. MMA offers more punishment opportunities that boxing can't offer the viewing public so MMA has that going for them.

- There are genuine discussions to have legitimate MMA fighters fight boxers (and not
    just old boxers like Tyson). If these type of cross-promotion fights take place, who

It's going to happen, but it needs to be a big name from boxing willing to do this kind of thing. Tyson would do it in a heartbeat (hasn't he been on K-1 before or was that just a tease?) for the money. Not sure about other top fighters, especially since the heavyweight division has little name value these days. I wouldn't watch this kind of thing because it's like watching pro wrestling on a PPV -- they'll hype it all the time, but it is rare that it delivers (and this is coming from a person who likes pro wrestling, will watch it on TV, but never buys the PPVs because I don't need to waste my money on it).

9. NDub

NDub Guest

I wonder if the SportsCenter anchors will refer to a knockout as a 'walk-off punch?'

ESPN better not ruin this.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less. ESPN sees the TV ratings are good and it gets the attention of the suits.

11. Re: UFC's time?: ESPN News to air Liddell-Jackson weigh-in live today, Fri. 5.25.07

How many kittens will Rok kill during the fight?

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Mert, relax. If someone wants to pose a series of questions, what is wrong with that? What these questions have to do with the size of Rok's ego, I have no idea.

Do you care? About the fight, yes. I enjoy UFC. About ESPN covering the weigh-ins, no.

Civilization? Love it?

It's not the worst thing ESPN shows. People will watch, and to me it qualifies as sport, so why not? That said, I won't watch it.

I'm looking forward to the fight. I missed out on boxing in its prime, which I'm sorry for. However, following UFC (albeit not passionately) from its early stages is exciting. Those who lump it in with pro wrestling are spouting ignorance.

- Who are you rooting for? Who do you think will win?

Chuck Lidell. He was perfect against Tito Ortiz, and it's good for a sport, especially a young one, to have an identifiable face at the top of the food chain.

I think the torch has passed.

I think boxers would be at a disadvantage. UFC/MMA uses boxing components, but stress several other areas. Using Tyson as an example, I could see him moving in for what he sees as a combo of punches, only to get drilled by a quick knee to the head that he never sees coming. The power of punches for a pure boxer doesn't make up for the other elements offered by a MMA fighter, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted