1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC trying to get into more newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 15, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Sorry, going back and looking at it, my reply was poorly worded.
    It should have said:
    UFC of today is under new management.
    AND
    UFC of today has weight classes and rule changes.
    I didn't not necessarily mean to imply White & Co. were responsible for all of the changes, but certainly understand how it reads that way.
    You do have to give White credit for getting the sport out of the back woods of Mississippi to Los Angeles.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Yes.

3. Didn't mean to aim that at you personally, Jay, sorry if it came off that way. I've just been amazed by the amount of BS White's gotten past some otherwise savvy reporters.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

No problem.
    Like I said, I went back and looked at the way I wrote it and I certainly gave the impression the two were connected.

Dana's a promoter. No different than Arum and King.
    Difference is, King uses his "long, meaningless words" and loud talk to philosiphize with his boxing crowd.
    White uses his part business savvy, part "the guy who can kick back, drop the f-bomb and talk fighting with" schtick.
    It works for what he needs it to.
    Now it will be interesting to see if he can do the former well enough to woe AP.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Actually, it wasn't a UFC event (my bad). It was just a Midwest promoter putting on one of these events with a bunch of local dirtbags.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

UFC's been making inroads into newspapers, at least in SoCal. LA News Group advanced and covered the recent fights in Anaheim/Los Angeles pretty heavily.

Since it's an actual sanctioned sport in a lot of states, I could see UFC getting mixed in with boxing coverage at larger papers. But I don't know if AP will get on board presently...as busy as they are, it's bound to be a hard sell.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reviving a dead topic...

Anyone else's eyebrows raised by all the UFC appearances on ESPN today? Guys were on Cowherd, News and the dotcom, talking up their sport.

"Methinks" there could be something brewing here.

8. ogre

ogre Member

I was kind of close to putting a story in about UFC the other day.
    Won't say that I never would, but it's questionable. Just like newspaper coverage of X Games. There are lots of fans of extreme sports, but that doesn't mean it should be in the paper. (Until the readers demand it.)

9. UFC appeals to the wrong demographic -- 13-30 year-old males don't read newspapers. But if the UFC bought a bunch of full-page ads I bet my paper would cover it.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It would be my pleasure to get this in my section. How does the ass end of the briefs rail on 3B sound, just below the Quarterback Club's spaghetti dinner and the announcement for the Eat-a-Pie for Charity on the Atoms College campus.

Consider it done.

Draft saved Draft deleted