1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC Sues New York

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

The UFC are suing New York in order to over turn the ban on MMA. I assume this is about publicity more than anything else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/sports/ufc-sues-to-lift-new-york-ban-on-mixed-martial-arts-fighting.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Rape is the new missionary." -- tweet by UFC fighter Forrest Griffin

Those crazy fun-loving fighters and their rape jokes are so endearing.

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

It was unwise to tweet a joke about rape, but he did apologise and make a donation to a rape crisis centre. Plus for all we know he could have picked up that rape joke during his previous career as a policeman.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/11/11/2554825/forrest-griffin-apologizes-for-twitter-rape-joke-donates-to-rape

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Forrest Griffin: Combat Ambassador!

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I kinda chuckle when Dana White doesn't get his way. Think Roger Goodell with an extra pinch of whiny little bitch.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

New York state will give in when Junior Dos Santos punches it behind the ear.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Actually, Tom Wright, who is White's proxy in Canada, talked about a similar approach in this country. There are four (I think) provinces whose laws would prevent a card.

They want that changed and talked about a legal challenge. It's pretty smart business by White. Think how much money and attention there would be if he got to hold a card in New York. And, if he wins in court there, maybe he can win in court anywhere.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

After it caroms off the guy's shoulder.

9. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I'm guessing that Fred doesn't think that MMA should be legal in New York. He also thinks that championship boxing matches still last fifteen rounds. I suspect that he is old.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/ultimate-fighting-is-too-brutal-to-be-considered-a-sport-even-if-its-on-tv/2011/11/15/gIQAfPwFSN_story.html

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You know, if we were talking about boxing I'd think the fix was in.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have no interest in UFC etc., but tuned in to the fight on Fox. What little action there was featured some very bad boxing, a couple of half-assed leg kicks then the one guy throws a right, which appeared to hit the champ's shoulder and cuff him in the head (not in the temple a Joe Rogan was maintaining).

The champ goes down - not appearing to be KO'd - again as Rogan claimed - the challenger jumps on top whacks him a few times and the ref stops it.

Now as a long-time boxing fan who has seen plenty of guys get badly hurt - and a few fatalities - I know it's better to stop a fight too early than too late, but, shit, if this had been a Don King promotion the fans would have been throwing shit in the ring and screaming "fix!".

12. btm

btm Member

If someone has a problem with mixed martial arts, they should at least get their facts straight before criticizing. He says there are "some rules" and makes it sound like it's "anything goes" which is pretty far from the truth.

Along with not knowing boxing matches are now 12 rounds, which someone already mentioned, makes it awfully hard to take this guy seriously when his knowledge is outdated.

A good shot behind the ear can totally knock off your equilibrium, as what happened to Velasquez.

Draft saved Draft deleted