1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFC boots reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 5, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How restrictive are the fighters' contracts? Virtually the only thing I know about UFC is that Dana White pays his fighters peanuts. I'm assuming there are some pretty ironclad no compete clauses that are keeping the top fighters away from rival promotions, because otherwise why put up with this shit?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I feel for the guy being banned from covering UFC. But on the other hand, imagine being a reporter covering UFC.

3. nickp

nickp Active Member

Much respect to dan patrick for having Ariel on his show

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I believe the expression is, "That's stenography, not journalism. "

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody have a past UFC credential? Any conditions listed (besides taking a picture of it and putting it on social media) that would justify UFC pulling it?
    Really a dumb move by the UFC if they think this is going to be a positive for the organization. If anything it will only encourage people to air their grievances about the UFC to a reporter who has established that he isn't a UFC stooge.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In his podcast today, Helwani admitted to being paid by UFC and running his questions past the competitors to see if they were okay. The people who run the organization sound like arrogant control freaks, but this isn't your typical reporter relationship.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He was a shill.

UFC is a joke of a league that, if a light was shined into it the way a light has been shined into the NFL, would be revealed to be the joke it is.

Just give Rousey five years. She'll take care of it.

8. So the dog bit the hand that fed it and suffered (at least temporarily) the consequences.

Moving on ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've covered four of their events. I just looked at one of my credential badges. On the back it says "Credential bearer confirms all aspects of credential release."
    When you apply for a credential you have to sign a code of conduct. A lot of it is common-sense stuff, no clothing with team or athlete logos, no cheering or other partisan displays, no autographs, no getting a fighter to plug a product, no alcohol in the press area, etc. I'm sure none of us would argue with most of that. There is an item in there that says you have to follow all directions of UFC staff. The only specific social media item I remember on there was that you couldn't take photos from the press area with your camera phone while a fight taking place but you could take a limited number of photos of the empty cage for social media purposes. I haven't read it in a few months, so it may have addressed a situation like this specifically, but I'm not sure.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I'll argue with no alcohol in press area. Giants and Jets used to have beer with the halftime spread, they should bring that back.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

OK. I'll give you that.

cjericho likes this.
  12. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted