1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UF student Tasered after questioning John Kerry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

LOL!

2. markvid

markvid Guest

LOL?
    Is that all you got?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Who let chazp out of his cage?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Is this SportsJournalists.com Classic week?

5. It's only a matter of time bevore mlb's back.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I enjoyed the reader comments on this:

And isn't it supposed to be "Is that all YOU'VE got"? Great save, editors-and since when in "GONNA" considered a proper English word? Would it kill you people to use your degrees in English or journalism once in a while? It's entire proper to make the corrections in parentheses! ex-"It's (going to) take more than three of you to bring me down". Or instead of using a direct but incorrect quote, try "police said that Myers pulled the probes out himself, laughed and asked if that was all they had." Same story, same points were made, but at least this time it reads correctly!

Chittchat

Followed by:

Dear "chittchat,"

I see that you are a member of the GrammarNazi group! I'm glad you've fulfilled your initiation requirements, however I need to point out that you are not following the rules of editorial conduct. One never corrects the grammar of a direct quote. Doing so is against the purpose of direct quoting.

Further, correcting grammatical mistakes in a public forum is simply bad taste. You should have instead emailed the editorial staff directly. Doing otherwise has made you appear as a jerk, rather than a concerned citizen.

Also I find it rather hypocritical of you to correct the grammar of others, when you yourself have made many grammatical mistakes yourself. Questions marks belong inside the quotes if the quotation is the ending clause in a sentence. Also, commas nearly always precede a quotation except in specific circumstances.

Thank you, please adhere to the rules better next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted