1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UF student Tasered after questioning John Kerry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 17, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nobody remembers the other story? I swear we had a long thread about it.

Campus cops are notorious for overreacting like this...

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Oh, I think this one's gonna go mainstream. It's very disturbing, and the video is gonna go wide.

Yeah, the kid was a little over the top, but he stuck to his point and was courteous at the mike. Seemed like an informed guy asking Kerry to open up on a few election issues.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

This would never happen in Guangzhou, China.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Only on SportsJournalists.com.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson played the entire video on MSNBC, then reamed the cops today.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://www.alligator.org/articles/2007/09/17/news/campus/arrestbreak.txt

Florida student paper on the incident.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Hmm. On the U of Florida police department's Web page, they have an email address (updinfo@admin.ufl.edu) where you can ask questions or get information.

Wonder if sending a questioning email to that address automatically triggers Gainesville's Finest to show up at your door with Tasers?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You know what? It's not just campus cops. Someone, at some point, somewhere, needs to stand up and ask why cops are allowed to get away with just about anything when it comes to arresting people, particularly where the use of Tasers is concerned. From this, to the over-the-top stuff used on To Catch a Predator, to the cops in New Orleans who roughed up a photographer for documenting an incident.

I lived in Florida for nearly three years, and it never failed to amaze me how many people were charged, in the booking reports, with resisting arrest...and nothing else. I understand that cops have jobs to do and all that, but asking why I'm being arrested shouldn't constitute resisting arrest. You walk up to me like those cops did and start forcing my hands behind my back, I'm not just gonna give in and let you arrest me. I'm gonna expect that you explain why you're doing what you're doing.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Here's the takedown and Tasering from a better angle. Looks like he wasn't handcuffed yet, but there were about six cops on him, I think.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20070917/NEWS/70917006/1053/BREAKING_NEWS&source=photoclick

Listen to Kerry in the background. He's in another world.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

And surprisingly enough the kid was saying Kerry should be president.

Update: Kerry later told the kid that it was better to be tasered than be stuck in Iraq.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They'll all be fired and the campus police chief will resign.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He's given absolutely no warning, no indication that cops are behind him, no opportunity to back off before being hustled out of the room. Inexcusable.

And you're right, he wasn't cuffed at that point. But there's four guys sitting on him. What's he gonna do?

Draft saved Draft deleted