1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UEFA Euro 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Jun 8, 2012.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Saw posts on the soccer thread but didn't see a separate thread. As a casual soccer fan, would like to see this start a week or two later, so there's no NBA or NHL. But I guess the only time this conflicts with US sports is on the weekend, when there are day baseball games (i know europeans and hardcore soccer fans don't give a shit). Anyway in the first 2 games, I'll take Poland over Greece by 2 goals and Russia over Czech Rep by 1.

2. JPW

JPW New Member

I'm glad there is a post and hopefully plenty of talk on this. I haven't had proper time to research some of the mid to lower tier teams, but on the first day I'm taking Greece and Poland drawing and Russia winning by one.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I spent a couple of weeks in Holland and Belgium for Euro 2000. One of the best times I've ever had. Hard to think it's been a dozen years ago.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Racist chants were heard at Holland's TRAINING session this morning! Supposedly sections of the crowd were making monkey chants to black players.

Stuff like this pisses me off so much.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I hope racism isn't rampant, but with Poland and Ukraine hosting, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Poland 1, Greece 0
    Czech Republic 1, Russia 1

6. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Got a freelance gig blogging for the tournament. Should be fun. I like Germany to win.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This should be cool, but a couple of questions:

- How come no one is picking Brazil? Don't people always pick Brazil?
    - The U.S. was invited to that Copa America thing a few years ago. They're not in this one. Are they no longer gaining enough international respect to get invited to tournaments like this?
    - As a former Liverpool and now Man United supporter, I know England is always really highly regarded. How dominant are they expected to be in this thing?
    - Poland and Ukraine are co-hosting? How does that work? Have two countries ever co-hosted a major soccer tournament before?
    - Can Spain overcome the fact their players have played so many games (Grant Wahl wrote this, so I figured it was good analysis)?

Can't wait for this.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You forgot the hard-hitting question that was asked on the mothership radio the other morning: How is Lionel Messi going to do?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I like the tweet by David Moyes that Greece should start the group stages with -3 points because they are in administration.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Only 15 minutes in and it feels like Poland's already had a million great chances.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

And their million-and-first chance finds the back of the net.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Deserved goal for Poland. Playing some entertaining soccer so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted