1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UConn: Papers? We don't need no stinkin' papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Dec 29, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

No doubt they are eating it up. And probably spending 98% of their time railing about the big bad media screwing Coach Leach.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

things to do for POO in 2010:

1.) Learn to spell prima
    2.) Learn quote function

4. Point of Order

3.) Learn to use mobile phone better
    4.) Continue pwning BYH

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah you really got me. "Weak." Wow. Awesome analysis there. Pwned is so cool too, so 2007.

You gonna get a second thread locked today, big guy? Maybe call me names to ensure it?

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Rusty Eggen is one of the best SIDs on any level that I've ever dealt with. Period.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

WFW. Bingo.

8. There may be a huge shift to those team-run fan sites in the next few years, but I find it hard to believe that many can survive well when their program ultimately has some kind of bomb drop - an NCAA sanction, a coach being investigated, player arrests, salacious sex scandals, etc.

Readers, even the real-deal fan boys, know news from fluff. I've read plenty of great features on those kinds of sites and magazines, but I'd never expect them to be my main source for actual news.

And I really don't think what think Eggen's situation really represents most colleges or sports info departments. Most smaller market papers (as in about 90 percent of them) are pretty on top of it when it comes to getting results in from their local Jucos and even DI schools. His complaint was that the Boston Globe and a few other smaller, yet still metro-area papers/TV stations had better things to do than run full stories of his DIII school.

9. Point of Order

How old are you? Do you just internalize corny movie dialogue? such an ass.

eh, tough guy, yo. Eh, big guy. Eh Mr. Tough Guy.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it the goal of a couple of you to get a bunch of threads locked?
    Stop. Now. Don't PM me and blame the other guy. Use the button. Or log off until you get a grip.
    You're fucking up good discussions.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Schools don't need the newspapers now, they feel, because of what newspapers have become.
    Many don't even cover their road games with a body.
    Div. II and III teams and NAIA teams I would assume get covered even less, especially on the road.
    If college websites hired one or two "real" beat writers, who were told to stay away from controversy, but have at it like mlb.com does, I would think fans truly would not miss newspaper coverage, at least the way it is today.
    This is a good time for good beat reporters to go off on their own, except for the fact they wouldn't be able to get credentialed for their own website. And without access, they are just another rivals.com site without all the recruiting.

If newspapers went back to the way they used to be, lots of stories, pictures, extensive coverage of high schools and the pros, colleges would want coverage desperately. It's human nature to want their fair share or more of the pie. But we're past that. Space continues to shrink.

12. On a somewhat related note, I think it's hysterical that every time the Tampa Bay Lightning go to overtime or a shootout and lose, their Twitter and Facebook posts say something like, "The Lightning pick up a valuable point last night in overtime."

Referring to a loss like that just makes my stomach churn both as a fan and a sportswriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted