1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UConn donor says no soup for you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 25, 2011.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

That is, a $3M soup.

http://www.theday.com/article/20110125/SPORT07/301259947

(Make sure you read the donor's letter).

This guy is a giant d-bag. I went to UConn, and I know how smarmy the athletic department can be. But Burton somehow made them a sympathetic figure.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Saw this coming from miles away. Not this particular booster and school, mind you, but the T.Boone and Phil Knight stories were going to make some mega-dollar booster think he/she was entitled to major input on a coach, AD, etc. ...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much do you have to donate to have a say? Burton seems like a guy who only measures success by money or wins.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think if you are Phil Knight and do what he does for Oregon, you should have some say in who they hire and fire. I mean, if Phil Knight was a fan of Washington State instead of Oregon, the Ducks would be just a low-level Pac 10 team with ugly uniforms.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To be fair, if Knight went to Wazzou, the Cougars would be the ones with the ugly threads.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This is hardly original but the UConn AD should inform Mr. Burton that some asshole is writing letters on his stationary.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The donor is an asshole but the UCONN AD screwed up. Appease the clown but don't actually listen to what he says. Donors are crucial to athletic programs and playing the game is part of the process.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

UConn is irrelevant anyway.

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Um, they were in a BCS Bowl game!!!

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Which speaks volumes of just how idiotic the "BCS" system is not too mention how weak the Big East is.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I hate the term "slippery slope," but where do you draw the line, then? Should this clown have a say in recruiting? (The NCAA would love that). How about the depth chart or playing time?

Draft saved Draft deleted