1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UCLA writer, Los Angeles News Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Anastasi, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Michael_Anastasi

Michael_Anastasi New Member

The Los Angeles News Group is seeking a beat writer to cover UCLA. Primarily focused on football, basketball and recruiting, the successful applicant will have demonstrably mastered all digital reporting tools, knows how to break news and own a beat. The successful applicant’s portfolio and work experience must show a deep understanding of social media and digital reporting, how they are integrated into daily workflow and where traditional print fits in the mix. LANG, with a Sunday circulation exceeding 450,000 over its nine daily titles, places a premium on unique enterprise and investigative reporting. This is not an entry-level job and prior college or professional sports experience is helpful. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and appropriate portfolio to Gene Warnick, Sports Editor, Los Angeles News Group at gene.warnick@dailynews.com. Questions may be directed to that address as well.

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I know, the daily news does a lot of video and blogging on it's insidesocal.com site. I do want to know how much football and how much of everything else you would be doing.

3. RandalGraves

RandalGraves New Member

The last fellow who had the role did a fantastic job. He did great with video, blogging, features... name it. He even did it with a good sense of humor and didn't take himself too seriously.

This a great gig and you will have a instant, strong, loyal fanbase.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

UC Berkeley graduate and former San Francisco Chronicle intern Jack Wang has been hired for this position.

5. captainneo

captainneo New Member

He also was an intern at the Salt Lake Tribune and graduate of the Sports Journalism Institute.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guessing it didn't hurt if he did a bang-up job on his internship for Michael, et. al at Salt Lake.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a pretty damn impressive resume for a kid straight out of college.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Two really good internships, one of them sponsored by the Sports Journalism Institute?

It's good, but I wouldn't say it's "pretty damn impressive." At least, not enough to beat all the other applicants for a position like this, even if it's Singleton.

9. captainneo

captainneo New Member

Yes, Salt Lake was through SJI program.

10. GLee

GLee New Member

Good work Mike in tapping Mr. Wang.

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

This.

kudos to jack, who is a fabulous guy and a star in the making. he'll do great.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not many people have interned at two big papers when they graduate from college. If the SE was familiar with him, I'm sure that was the bulk of the reason he got the job. I'm sure that him coming cheap helped tremendously as well...

Congrats to the kid...

Draft saved Draft deleted